engine losing power intermitenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine losing power intermitenly

well i was driving to work today and my engine kept feeling like it wanted to die and would actually stall when starting from a stop...on the way home it continued and the engine check light kept coming on interminteley.....at first i thought the fuel filter may getting clogged as i dont know how old it is but the check engine light is making me think it may be the fuel pump.......what say you guys??

caveman85
    '89 325i 5-speed, 2 door, lowered.....many mods soon to come

check fuel pressure, it could be too high or too low, need more info.

Comment

i have had issues where fuel pumps are failing. they seem to "flow" but they have almost NO pressure behind it. so when you put your foot down or call for more fuel it cant keep up. this can also come and go as its usually the brushes inside it that are wearing out and not contacting as well as they should.

i also suggest checking the fuel pump. or possibly the ignition coil might have primary windings shorting to ground as they expand with heat or move with vibrations. could also be a faulty crank/cam sensor on the fritz. all of which could possibly bring up lamps.

if your at a loss where to start have the fault codes checked. a engine fault light will log and store codes for you to follow.

Comment

e30? were your brakes really stiff?? mine did this she a tube that goes from brake booster to manifold came loose (pressure release tube? idk) but check it
        "Do what you love, and love what you do" -Ray Bradbury

Comment

the problem went from interminet to constant with a bad idle and REALLY, REALLY rich exhaust.....it actually turned out to be my afm sensor crapping out....switched mine out with my friend's and she purred with no problems....so now i just need a new sensor.

caveman85
          '89 325i 5-speed, 2 door, lowered.....many mods soon to come

Comment

Working...
          X