Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 2.7 no start-e-o thread. UPDATED! 4/25

Well, it came down to the starter.

Over a year sitting at my house. Finally got the engine in, wired up, everything. Go to start, nothing.

Charged battery, starter would kick, but not spin.

Swapped starter, spins, kicks, but no engine turn overage.

Background: Block is a super eta from an 88 528e. Car is a 1989 325is. We put the 325's single mass FW on the eta block. Using the original-to-the-car starter.

Herein lies the problem, methinks, but searching around I can't find any issues with a flywheel swap and starter engagement.

Any ideas? You guys know how much I love these engines....
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
    Well, it came down to the starter.

Over a year sitting at my house. Finally got the engine in, wired up, everything. Go to start, nothing.

Charged battery, starter would kick, but not spin.

Swapped starter, spins, kicks, but no engine turn overage.

Background: Block is a super eta from an 88 528e. Car is a 1989 325is. We put the 325's single mass FW on the eta block. Using the original-to-the-car starter.

Herein lies the problem, methinks, but searching around I can't find any issues with a flywheel swap and starter engagement.

Any ideas? You guys know how much I love these engines....
    3 wire on 2 wire starter issue?

Comment

is your starter shimmed right? the gear might be slamming into the face of the flywheel and the teeth arent able to mesh together

pretty sure your starter and flywheel are correct however
      2008 335i - n54b30
      1991 318i - m52b28
      1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Starter is for the car. Flywheel is the original to the car.

It's the 3 wire starter. I can hear it kick out and spin. Just *click* WHRRRRRRRRRR.

Old starter wouldn't spin, but would click out (the gear).

I see no reason the starter for the car wouldn't engage the FW for the car. Maybe if we'd left the dual mass FW in there, but we didn't.

I even tried turning the engine over by hand in case, possibly, the starter gears weren't getting in between the FW gears. Just a stupid thing to try. *rolls eyes*

There isn't something with the SETA crank where it puts the flywheel too far out from the block vs the thicker dual mass?

Comment

Are you sure the starter is kicking out? Did you test it out of the car? In the car it can sound like it's kicking out without really doing it.

The dual mass and single mass use the same starter, just the later cars got one that's a higher amperage and the three wires. SETA, ETA, or B25. There shouldn't be any issue with the starter engaging the flywheel.
          Last edited by TurboJake; 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Haven't had time to play with it over the weekend. Battery is dead dead. Really don't wanna take the starter back out....again.

Comment

So. Messed with it last night. Came to the conclusion that

-yes, the starter is kicking out.
              -oui, the starter is spinning.
              -si, there is no way to put the FW on wrong.
              -ja, even if the FW were lightened improperly the teeth would still engage, possibly all the time.

The starter cannot shoot the teeth out too far and overshoot the ring gear. There is a lip below the teeth in the starter that will stop it.

So, we're completely stumped.

Completely.

We jumped the car so we had a full charge going to the starter. Tested the + into the starter and got 12.2v, dropping to ~7 when the starter was engaged.

I wanna say the upper small wire had ~3-6v upon actuation. Should have written this stuff down, FML. IIRC the lower wire was about the same.

Hopefully Stonersam will chime in 'cause it's his turd we're working on. :roll:

Edit: May be helpful, but he changed his ignition to work by pushing in the cigar lighter. Also the gauges jump when trying to start it. The tach goes up to as much as 4k. Others equally as far.
              Last edited by slammin.e28; 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

The tach stopped doing that once I ditched the cigarette lighter start. but I am completely stumped on why it just spins free like that. its almost like the starter is not reaching the FW.

Comment

I'm having this same issue right now with my NV M50 swap.

Did you guys figure it out yet?
                  Last edited by Gatts; 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                    I'm having this same issue right now with my NV M50 swap.

Did you guys figure it out yet?
                    don't want to threadjack slammin but I had the same issue and it was because i didnt have the thin sheet metal shim "gasket" that goes between the tranny and motor
                    2008 335i - n54b30
                    1991 318i - m52b28

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
                      don't want to threadjack slammin but I had the same issue and it was because i didnt have the thin sheet metal shim "gasket" that goes between the tranny and motor
                      Holy fuck IDK if I put that in there.

Comment

SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

yep check for the spacer. you can shim the starter out to check if clearance is indeed the problem before you go about removing the tranny

Comment

Originally posted by B-well View Post
                            yep check for the spacer. you can shim the starter out to check if clearance is indeed the problem before you go about removing the tranny
                            I'll have to throw 'er on the lift and see if it's in there. I can't remember putting it in, but it's one of those things where I woulda been like, "it was there, lets put it back in."

Then again.....it may be laying in my parts pile.

Comment

Probably a horrible idea, but when I was first trouble shooting I mounted my starter loosely and it was able to turn my motor over as the pinion was able to find it's way on to the fw. Definitely indicated that the alignment was no bueno.
                              2008 335i - n54b30
                              1991 318i - m52b28

Comment

Working...
                              X