Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start...and it gets worse...

'86 325es, stock

So I just got back from a long trip for work, took a short drive to pick up my dog from the sitter and the car wouldn't start. I've been having issues with it starting lately, but I replaced and cleaned all my grounds and that seemed to fix the issue.

Here's how this is going:
    - Turn the key, hear the relay click and the starter click once and nothing. No starter engagement.

- Double check all connections and all looks fine. Try again, same thing.

- Car starts reluctantly and I drive it home. Turn it off in the driveway. Go back out and turn the key, same thing. I grab a hammer, hit the starter and it fires right up...so I'm off on a drive to make sure everything is kosher. I am starting down my hill to my house and the car just shuts off.

- Turn the key, no crank. I let it roll, dump the clutch and if fires up.

- If the RPMs fall below 2500, it shuts off.

- The car sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders and has no power.

- There is an insanely high pitched squeal coming from the airbox area (it's been doing this for a while but is now WAY worse).

Any help you can provide would be great. I am planning on replacing the starter but what the hell is up with the rest of this stuff? I need to get to work tomorrow so if you're bored, and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

This could be a dead battery, which could be the result of an over-age battery or a dying alternator. Or it could be a dying starter. Before replacing the starter have the battery and alternator tested.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

high pitched squeal from the air box you say?

check for a clogged/blocked air filter/afm

Comment

Maybe the alternator belt squealing because the alternator is not turning? This in turn, causing the battery to not charge?

Comment

I had just replaced the battery and alternator about a month ago. Forgot to mention that. I made a thicker main engine ground and finally realized my mistake...

...when I took the leads off the starter to be cleaned up, I found a break in the black/yellow wire that connects to the bottom. Fixed it and it fired right up.

The only issue I have now is after the car has been sitting overnight or for an extended period of time it takes a few cranks to start and I hear the starter clicking like crazy. It eventually fires up, but doesn't make me feel very good.

I think it's about time to replace my AFM, so thanks for the advice there!

Comment

It really sounds like you have voltage issues somewhere still.

Got a DMM?
            -Dave
            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
              It really sounds like you have voltage issues somewhere still.

Got a DMM?
              I do. Replaced my AFM last night and tested everything the Bentley could suggest. Everything was in spec. I still think regardless I have grounding issues but I'm not sure what else to repair/replace.

- Battery to body ground
              - Oil pan to frame ground

But I don't see any other main grounds. Am I missing one here?

Comment

There is a hood ground but I still think it's your alternator. Check the new alternator again.

Comment

Working...
                X