What's That Sound?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's That Sound?!?!

The video will explain it all. Car won't start. Just keeps making a ringing noise when i try to start it up. Is it the teeth on the starter grinding with the flywheel? Just a guess. Anyway, help would be greatly appreciated. Car is a (piece of shit) 86 325e

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7805201...in/photostream

Not grinding sound...it sounds like a free rotating metal disc when you start the car. You are going to have to look at the flywheel to see how bad the damage is.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      Not grinding sound...it sounds like a free rotating metal disc when you start the car. You are going to have to look at the flywheel to see how bad the damage is.
      Does this mean I will have to pull the tranny?

Comment

If its not an auto, put it in 4. and push it some centimeters.
        If auto, turn the engine a bit by hand, and try starting it.
        If it works theres some teeth missing on the flywheel.

Comment

It's an auto. How exactly do I turn it over by hand?

Comment

Well, if your crank pulley bolt is the same as an m10, get a 32mm socket, and big ratchet, and put it on your crank pulley bolt/nut and rotate
            85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

So drain coolant, pull radiator, crank engine a bit, put everything back and try to start. Correct?

Comment

you shouldnt need to pull the radiator

Comment

So I turned the engine by hand a bit and then started the car up. I guess that means some of the teeth on the flywheel are damaged and a new flywheel is in the near future for me. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X