surge/higher idle - coolant temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surge/higher idle - coolant temp sensor

I am trying to get rid of some surging and higher idle (around 1400 as of now). I did cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, water pump, and belt in august. Did new icv hose, air intake boot, hose off boot to icv, and tps 2 months ago.

This weekend I was going to do a fuel filter, o2 sensor, valve cover gasket, and valve adjust. I was thinking I should try replace the coolant temp sensor as I see it can cause issues but which one do I need its a 87 325e 9/86 production.

What happens if you 'blip' the throttle. Does the car almost die?
    Check your FPR. Also look for large vacuum leaks.

Comment

The O2 sensor almost certainly needs to be replaced. Then have a smoke test run to check for intake leaks.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Its weird it runs good and you can blip the throttle revs up goes through the gears fine but occasionally normally what staying the same rpm it feels like you almost blip the throttle them goes back to normal driving. Seems like it started a month ago maybe and just happens randomly. It looks like I might be getting a new job and have to travel 60 miles one way daily so trying to get my bmw in good running shape.

I am going to pickup a fuel filter, valve cover, rocker plugs, coolant temp sensor today (should be in at lunch time) so hopefully can get them done this weekend and clean the icv, change o2, and adjust valves.

Comment

I only did a seafoam treatment this weekend and what was weird is it was running decent still idling but at 1400 rpm and would not start. It would crank and occasional start but be rough or do 300-400 rpms then die and I do not think I heard a fuel pump. I unscrew the round connector on the firewall for the harness and blew it out twice and got it started. I am not sure whats up but it fired fine this morning. I think I am going to do the fuel pumps soon but I am wondering about the wiring as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chappys4life View Post
            I am going to pickup a fuel filter, valve cover, rocker plugs, coolant temp sensor today (should be in at lunch time) so hopefully can get them done this weekend and clean the icv, change o2, and adjust valves.
            That is good, but I don't see the smoke test in your list of actions. I can't emphasize enough the importance of that test.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X