Coolant Leak - Mystery Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Leak - Mystery Gasket

I was gifted my first car by my dad and I am so happy that it was an e30, 1989 325i.
    The last time I drove home, I started to smell coolant so I checked it out and noticed
    that coolant was spraying like a fountain out of the gasket/seal that is circled in red in
    the picture below. I noticed that there was leaking and stains before but regrettably
    didn't do anything about it.

I want to replace it but I'm not sure what this is, or where I can find it. Any information
    would be great!

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	7227361

part #13541285471

buy a couple and keep a spare as they are cheap
    Last edited by spdracrm3; 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM.
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Or , better yet. Do the Throttle Body Heater Bypass as described here http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...er+hose+bypass

It wont ever be needed on a car in AZ or for that matter many places in the US.

That area is heated by the input of engine coolant around a connector that leads into the throttle body. Its for de -icing the throttle body butterfly.

Read the DIY above and it will make more sense.

Comment

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

The link was exactly what I needed. No need for that here in AZ since it's pretty much hotter than hell. Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah was going to post my DIY thread too.

Good luck man, it is super easy

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
              It wont ever be needed on a car in AZ or for that matter many places in the US.
              That is not necessarily true. In the right conditions freezing of the throttle body can occur with ambients in the low 40's. Been there done that and it leads to exciting moments.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X