ETA won't idle, runs awful. **Video pg.2** FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETA won't idle, runs awful. **Video pg.2** FIXED

1986 325es - Engine is stock save for a turner chip and a "hot air" intake.

Symptoms:
    Car will not hold idle. It will start right up, run for a second or two and shut off. I can keep the car running by feathering the throttle...and occasionally it will run a bit longer. It usually ends up with the same result.

Attempts to fix:
    - New intake elbow
    - New throttle to ICV hose
    - New throttle to valve cover breather hose
    - New vacuum hoses from intake to booster, throttle to charcoal canister
    - New intake manifold gaskets
    - New o-rings on the bitch tube
    - New valve cover gasket
    - ICV cleaning **REPLACED**
    - Throttle body cleaning
    - MAF cleaning
    - New cap and rotor (I know irrelevant, but I did it this weekend since I was due)

Notes:
    - While running, if I disconnect the MAF the car will shut off. I did test another known working MAF with no change.
    - The ICV has correct OHM rating of 9.6. Uplugged, the car idles all over the place. Bench testing the ICV shows it is functioning correctly.
    - There is a high-pitched whistle at higher RPMS, it does not whistle at a stand still, only under load when driving.
    - When I wiggled the wire to the coolant temp sensor, the idle went normal for a moment. Since I was standing in front of the car at the time alone, there was no way for me to check the other effects. There was still a miss.
    - When I unplug the coolant temp sensor, the car will not rev past 2K RPM.
    - When I test the CTS for continuity, it checks out as normal at both of the Bentley suggested temperatures. **REPLACED**
    - Driving the car in this state results in random hesitation and cutting out.
    - I checked the TPS, it clicks once when I open it the first time, but nothing beyond that.
    - I have done every test in the Bentley on the fuel system and everything checks out, with 48psi of fuel pressure and both pumps in spec.
    - Fuel filter and all lines have been replaced about a year ago.

So what are your thoughts? I've been chasing this for a week with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

I apologize for setting up the post like this but I have spent many an hour searching for a solution and my hope is this will help in other people searching once the issue is resolved.

7/9/12: FIXED. Cause? A cracked intake manifold
    Last edited by BoxDriver86; 07-09-2012, 04:22 AM. Reason: Video added

Is there an amount of time, after which the car will stall despite your attempts to keep it alive with the throttle?
    If yes, check the primary and secondary resistance value of the coil and compare to spec.

Also consider splicing in a good section of harness and plug to the coolant temp sensor.

m

Comment

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
      Is there an amount of time, after which the car will stall despite your attempts to keep it alive with the throttle?
      No. Car will stay running as long as I give it throttle.

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
      Also consider splicing in a good section of harness and plug to the coolant temp sensor.
      m
      I plan on thoroughly checking the harness tonight. I really do hope this is just a wiring issue.

Comment

I also want to note that I have been having grounding issues with the car for quite some time. I have replaced the oil pan to body ground and the negative ground to the battery. This fixed a random no-start issue. However, I have a slight concern that there may be a ground issue even though it's testing okay.

Comment

A whistle from the engine bay could be an intake leak, which would explain at least some of the issues you have. Get a shop to run a smoke test.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            A whistle from the engine bay could be an intake leak, which would explain at least some of the issues you have. Get a shop to run a smoke test.
            If I can get the car running well enough again, that is on my list.

Comment

Do you need me to come over and drink beers and kick that bitch into submission?

Wiggle the ICV connector and see if anything happens.
              With the hood closed, the liner will sometimes hit that connection and cause this.
              ???

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                Do you need me to come over and drink beers and kick that bitch into submission?

Wiggle the ICV connector and see if anything happens.
                With the hood closed, the liner will sometimes hit that connection and cause this.
                ???
                I have beer if you have time!

Wiggling the ICV connector shows no change.
                Currently, the hood is off the car...

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  Passed smoke test this evening with no issues whatsoever. Shop I took it to ran many of the same tests that I had and just threw his hands up and said "I dunno...get another motor I guess."

Between searching for hours in threads where no resolution was ever posted or trying to guess what internet speak was used to describe similar issues I am pretty fed up. Car has been down for a week, and that's too much for a beater car. I think it's time to part this thing out and move on. I appreciate those who tried to help out here.

Comment

the fact that moving the cts wire round yeilded a better idle breifly would lead me to belive you should check into that some more, ive seen brittle old wiring to the cts cause seemingly random idle isues. try posting a video and maybe somebody can identify the whistle if it is in fact coming from the engine.
                    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                    Bimmerbuddies LLC
                    717-388-1256
                    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

OT, how are you getting 36+ mpg?! There is no way.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                        the fact that moving the cts wire round yeilded a better idle breifly would lead me to belive you should check into that some more, ive seen brittle old wiring to the cts cause seemingly random idle isues. try posting a video and maybe somebody can identify the whistle if it is in fact coming from the engine.
                        I am going to tear apart the wiring harness tonight. I could not replicate that last night when I tried again. All I know is that when I unplug the CTS the car will idle fine, albeit with a miss.

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                        OT, how are you getting 36+ mpg?! There is no way.
                        I am not anymore. Since the 3.25S and Turner Chip install, it's more like 31-33. When I was stock and had the open 2.93 on 90% highway driving I was averaging in 38-42mpg range. I thought it was lower than that until I fixed my odometer and started using fuelly. I'm not getting shit for fuel economy since the car is parked.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post
                          I am going to tear apart the wiring harness tonight. I could not replicate that last night when I tried again. All I know is that when I unplug the CTS the car will idle fine, albeit with a miss.

I am not anymore. Since the 3.25S and Turner Chip install, it's more like 31-33. When I was stock and had the open 2.93 on 90% highway driving I was averaging in 38-42mpg range. I thought it was lower than that until I fixed my odometer and started using fuelly. I'm not getting shit for fuel economy since the car is parked.

I just checked out Fuelly. None of the BMW 325 posted mpg higher than 31 mpg except for one (must be yours). Your method for calculating mpg must have some errors. There is no way this engine can give you 36+ mpg. Get yourself a GPS to get an accurate reading of your mileage then perform your mpg calculation again. Do not rely on the odometer for mileage count. They can be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                            I just checked out Fuelly. None of the BMW 325 posted mpg higher than 31 mpg except for one (must be yours). Your method for calculating mpg must have some errors. There is no way this engine can give you 36+ mpg. Get yourself a GPS to get an accurate reading of your mileage then perform your mpg calculation again. Do not rely on the odometer for mileage count. They can be way off.
                            Gotcha. Several people have commented that my MPG is bullshit. Maybe my odometer is off. I rarely use my GPS in the car since it's just highway driving to and from work so I haven't compared. I will be happy to use my GPS and see what I come up with.

Sadly I won't be able to correct this until my car runs. That's the reason I started this thread if you recall. If you have anything constructive to add to my issues, then by all means. If you would like to discuss my mpg, then please PM me.

Comment

have you checked fuel injection/delivery system?

Whoops re-read it sorry,did you check your injector o-rings too?
                              Last edited by timninja; 06-26-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X