Hesitation / Bogging at Altitude.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitation / Bogging at Altitude.

Left Clemson in search of cooler air yesterday and drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway for awhile. At 5000ft I noticed the idle was kind of ragged and there was definite hesitation on acceleration from a stop. It seemed ok once I got above 2000rpm, but the car would bog (it felt like it was going to turn off) briefly every time I left an overlook. It got to the point I wouldn't turn it off at each overlook because I feared it wouldn't restart. Back at 700ft or so it seems fine. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
    1989 325is Raged on then sold.
    1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
    1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
    1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

It is always a good idea to say what car you have when posting a question.

A 325e has a barometric sensor which could be responsible. 325i/s/ic cars don't have that sensor. I don't know in an early 318 would have the sensor and I'm pretty sure a late model 328is would not. But a rough idle and hesitation off idle sounds most like an intake leak, sticky ICV, aged O2 sensors, or a combination of those.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Crap. Sorry Jim, guess I got in a hurry. 1990 325i convertible, autotragic. Yes, it's a Barbie car. I was thinking sticky ICV based on the car's history, I think I'll start there.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Working...
      X