Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start but won't run. (semi long post sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start but won't run. (semi long post sorry)

Hey R3Vers, any help would be greatly appreciated here, with a no run issue on my '87 eta. The short version is, that after replacing a very noisy high pressure fuel pump ( car was running well enough before pump swap ), now it will turn over, fire, run for a few seconds, then die.

The long version: Bought the car from a fellow R3Ver in january. Had a terrible idle (vac issues), and among the many other issues it has, the most annoying was the noisy fuel pump and a warm/hot starting issues. After a few months and a few very embarrassing autoX events ( sucks when you sit there cranking for ever and the car wont start) i finally traced part of the issue to a dead transfer pump. Replaced that last weekend, car ran much nicer (smoothed out the idle a lot), and seemed to help the hot starting a lot. High pressure pump was still hella noisy, so to be proactive, i decided to put in a TRE Performance OE style pump, (also did a new fuel filter when I replaced the in tank pump). Anyway, yesterday the new pump went in quick and easy, turned it over VRROOMMM .. silence.. .. WTH.

So I tested both pumps, all electrical components ( I'm a EE so went with electrical anything first), then line restrictions, I got nothin. All the voltages are within spec, the relay tested to work, the return line is not clogged, and the feed line delivers fuel. I then added a 60psi gauge at the cold start valve, used the bypas switch (per Bentley instructions for testing fuel pressure), and it pegged the gauge right off the bat, AND.. i get zero fuel out of the FPR when pumps are running.

So since I can't think of anything else i'm guessing FPR, but i'm curious if anybody else has input? It seems like an odd component to just up and die on me. I also have yet to take the rail apart and check for obstructions. But any ideas or things maybe I have overlooked would be super helpfull.

Thanks

The FPR is bad, and probably has been all along. The old high pressure pump was just worn enough that the rail pressure was still reasonable.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

check fuel pump relay too.

I just went a week trying to diag. a no start issue on my 90is.

I just needed gas in the tank.
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

update

Got the new FPR during the week. Tossed that on a few minutes ago, and fuel pressure at the rail was back to spec. Started the car up, starts right up, and runs smooth, really smooth. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
        X