M20 starter & M20 flywheel = no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 starter & M20 flywheel = no start

I've got a motor out of a 1991 325i (originally an autotragic) and I'm having trouble getting the starter to engage the flywheel. I purchased an i flywheel and clutch (as the motor did not come with either) and hooked up the original starter and it sounds like the starter bendix gear would fit the flywheel, but wouldn't turn the flywheel. Took the starter off to ensure that the gear was coming out and the ground check (off the car) was fine, everything looked to be in working order.

So, the next step was to have my buddy bring over a flywheel off of an 86es. Same thing, starter kicks out the bendix gear, but doesn't engage the flywheel to rotate the motor. So, now I'm thinking, use the starter thats meant for the flywheel, so I buy an 86es starter, hook it up and same thing, bendix gear comes out, hits the flywheel, but won't engage the flywheel to rotate the motor.

Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what was your fix and/or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Chris
    Last edited by FreedS4; 08-16-2012, 08:22 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

More details: this motor is going into a 1990 325is. Original motor (oil pan) had a slight run-in with a curb and after losing all the oil in the motor, it is no more. Also I'm using the original Getrag 260 transmission.

And all checks have been with the motor out of the car. Just using a battery to jump the starter.
    Last edited by FreedS4; 08-16-2012, 06:55 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Are you sure that the 2 dowels (#19 in http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3.../engine_block/) that align the plate (#17) are in place and not deformed?

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
        Are you sure that the 2 dowels (#19 in http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3.../engine_block/) that align the plate (#17) are in place and not deformed?
        Dowels are fine and that plate is sitting flush against the block and bell housing.

Comment

Can you turn the motor over by hand?
          Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
          Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
          Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
          Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Comment

Originally posted by tinkwithanr View Post
            Can you turn the motor over by hand?
            I can, relatively easy, too.

Comment

Might you have the load spreader plate in the wrong side of the flywheel? That plate goes on the transmission side of the flywheel.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                Might you have the load spreader plate in the wrong side of the flywheel? That plate goes on the transmission side of the flywheel.
                It is on the correct (transmission) side of the flywheel. That's why this is so puzzling. It appears as though everything is hooked up properly.

I've been trying to check that the starter is engaging the flywheel by jumping the starter. All of the checks have been with the motor out of the car, hanging from an engine hoist.

Comment

Bump for a Saturday...

Comment

even though you have the dowels installed pull the starter and make sure the tin plate is not encroaching or deformed in the hole for the starter. If the plate alignment is not correct the nose of the starter can be 'pushed' down and will be to low. When starting the gearshaft can run into the ring gear. Look at the chamfered end of the shaft on the starter. is it shiny or discolored. ? GL
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Turned out to be a combination of two damaged dowels and damaged shim plate that was causing the starter to be mis-aligned. Thank you to everyone who made wise suggestions, because they worked! Now, to get this thing back in the car and running!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X