Overheating. Not sure why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating. Not sure why

My car keeps overheating and I don't really know why. It only gets hot when stopped. When I'm moving it is perfectly fine.
    This seems like a fan clutch and so I replaced that. Didn't fix the problem. The fan clutch doesn't really seem to activate but then again I'm not too familiar with non electric fans so maybe it's working correctly.
    What else could cause it to get hot only when sitting still? The system has been bled properly and does not get hot when moving.

Was a NEW fan clutch installed?

Theres a place on ebay that sells brand New ones for $40.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
      Was a NEW fan clutch installed?

Theres a place on ebay that sells brand New ones for $40.
      Yes brand new behr

Comment

Did you check the belt tension? When was your water pump replaced? Is it good?

Comment

With a new fan clutch in place, the next likely cause of running hot at idle would be a thermostat that doesn't fully open (rare , but possible) or a partially clogged radiator. Replace both the radiator and the thermostat.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Why would a water pump cause it to heat during idle? I thought those were either broken or not.
            It could be the thermostat. Before I throw that on the car could it be that my gauge is wrong?
            Also could there still be air in the system? I figured that would cause heat up at all speeds though.
            When the gauge reads in the 3/4 zone the fan is medium hardness to stop it turning. It is not really difficult.

Comment

Replace the thermostat. Then flush your coolant. Bleed it good!. If that dosnt help then sell car.

Comment

If you bought the fan clutch from Pelican parts then it could be the bad one I ordered and returned (-: brand new and did not work.

Comment

What jlevie said.

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                    Replace the thermostat. Then flush your coolant. Bleed it good!. If that dosnt help then sell car.
                    Fucking stupid advice. Try replacing thermostat and flush the cooling system. If it's rusty pick up a new radiator or even a used one if it's clean.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
                    sigpic

Comment

If the problem was that the thermostat was stuck closed don't you think it would overheat all the time, not just when idling? Driving it would make it worse. Go ahead and replace the tstat if you're out of other ideas but while you're at it drill a tiny hole at the top of the thermostat (where the "this way up" arrow is) to make bleeding easier.

My money is on the fan clutch or v-belt (which would effect the fan AND the water pump) since it should be very difficult to stop that fan at 3/4 max temp. If your fan doesn't chew up a rolled up newspaper when the engine is at temperature then you have a problem right there.

Also, yes the gauge can be wrong. It's a real thermometer so it bounces around with every dip and spike in temperature. The e30 cluster is a sandwich of boards and solder joints which can get loose with age and heat exposure and cause all sorts of weird behavior. Does tapping the cluster make the gauge change? Loose solder joint perhaps. I was advised that in my car (which has new coolant, rad, thermostat, fan clutch, water pump and belts) that I shouldn't worry unless it is in the red... 3/4s is not cause for alarm, just caution.
                      Last edited by IAmGary; 08-28-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

i looked at everything today and the fan was getting caught on the surrounding shroud. this was kinda hard to see and i'm surprised i even noticed it. i fixed that and the car did not overheat today when i let it sit and idle for about 10 min in my driveway.
                        more driving will conclude if this actually fixed it or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X