Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help appreciated; car will not start. Searched and troubleshot already...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help appreciated; car will not start. Searched and troubleshot already...

Hey guys, as my title states, the car won't start and I have scoured everywhere for information.

Details on the car and situation are as followed:

1987 325, all stock, no modifications done.

The car drove great with no issues until the fuel pump went out. We replaced the fuel pump; the car still wouldn't start until about the 5th time turning it over. We drove the car for less than a mile and it stalled out, so we clutch jumped it...stalled again. We ended up leaving the car in a parking lot and coming back the next day to figure things out. We replaced the fuel filter while we were there, car still wouldn't start..I then read up on the icv and how it can cause some issues, I cleaned the icv and the car started right up...until I hit the throttle..if you ease into the throttle the car would drive fine, but if you blip the throttle quickly it would shut off. We then tried to start the car normally and it still wouldn't start, just turned over. We've checked for spark, all 6 spark plugs had spark; we've checked the fuel pressure regulator as well.

Here's the funny part, we eventually figured out a way to get the car started, if you unplug the inlet hose (hose coming from the intake boot) to the icv, put your thumbs over each port (hose and icv) the car will turn on, but if you don't plug the hose into the icv quickly, the car will shut off, so we do that to get the car started. Yes, I've replaced the icv, car idles great now (when on), but the drivability and starting problems still aren't fixed.

Another puzzling thing, which it may just be a fluke, but you guys can determine that...today I took the fuel pressure regulator off, poured the gas out of it, put it back on the car and it started right up; thought that was quite odd. I drove the car and it stalled out and wouldn't start again after I tried to blip the throttle instead of easing into it.

The car turns over with ease, but will not turn on...if we get the car on (as described above), you can't hit the throttle hard, you have to ease the throttle if you want to drive.

With that being said, what should I trouble shoot next, I've sprayed the engine down with maf cleaner looking for vac leaks...didn't seem to find any. Any input on what I should look into to get the car started and how; and what to look into to get the throttle issue fixed as well (I'm thinking the two are associated though).

Thanks in advance!

-Ted

Did you check the boot for cracks? My vote is still on vac leaks...could be on the underside of the boot. Your car may be running really rich because your car is expecting "x" amount of air, dumping "y" amount of fuel, but the air is getting leaked out somewhere.

Is there any smoke? CEL?
    1997 Artic Silver M3
    CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis Jung View Post
      Did you check the boot for cracks? My vote is still on vac leaks...could be on the underside of the boot. Your car may be running really rich because your car is expecting "x" amount of air, dumping "y" amount of fuel, but the air is getting leaked out somewhere.

Is there any smoke? CEL?
      I was thinking it may be a vac leak, soI sprayed the engine bay, intake, etc down with maf cleaner seeing if it would get sucked in anywhere or if the engine would die down, but nothing happened.

No smoke what-so-ever; no smoke at idle, no smoke when attempting to start the car, even when being driven the car doesn't smoke one bit. The CEL is on, but it's been on for the longest time, ever since my buddy picked the car up a good while ago.

Comment

Well, reading the CEL is the first step....not sure if you have a code reader or could make it to an autozone, or is the step test works on the '87. Anyways, like I said, step #1, see what the CEL says.
        1997 Artic Silver M3
        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis Jung View Post
          Well, reading the CEL is the first step....not sure if you have a code reader or could make it to an autozone, or is the step test works on the '87. Anyways, like I said, step #1, see what the CEL says.
          What I don't get is that the car ran fine before and the CEL was on then too..

Comment

Which pump did you replace (this car has two)? What is the rail pressure when cranking or running? The engine has spark, so the DME is running and getting timing data. The next most likely causes would be incorrect rail pressure or intake leaks. You can check the rail pressure and a smoke test will reveal any intake leaks.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I replaced the in-tank pump. And how would I go about checking rail pressure?

Comment

Working...
              X