No spark to plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark to plugs

Hi, this is my first thread. I believe I have posted it in the correct section so here it goes. I am in no way familiar with bmw's and I am hardly a mechanic to begin with. I recently bought an '87 325is with a snapped timing belt. Checked the valves and pistons, both were pretty much shot along with rocker arms so I picked up another M20 from a '91. I just finished the swap as well as the water pump. I used my old wiring harness as the new one was cut. Today when I tried to start the car, the engine turned but wouldn't start. I checked my plugs; nothing. Checked the ignition coil (and here's the anomaly), I placed a wire to the contact and near a lead. When I turned the key to its second position (accessory), I got one spark. When I turn the key to "on" I didn't get anything. I've tried to google it, I've searched through other threads also so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but I'm stumped without a clue to where I should even begin.

Engine has to be turning for it to fire the spark plugs. I would check your wiring to the crank position sensor. If it is faulty, it won't tell the ecu the engine is spinning.

Comment

I just checked it out. I followed the CPS wire back to a 3-pin plug and I just realized there are three 3-pin plugs sitting right next to each other that look exactly the same. I believe it's highly possible I have them mixed up but how do I know which goes where? I appoligize for sounding so ignorant. One of them of course is from the CPS, another runs from what appears to be plug wire number 3 (near the distributor) and the last looks like it's coming from the wiring harness itself. I hope that makes any sense.

Comment

Pull back the boots and look at the wire colors, then just match them up.

Comment

Working...
        X