parts list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parts list?

so the pistons in my 325is are all done.. head is done.. ive got a 325is long block in good running condition coming. i considered replacing the pistons with the good ones but after some thinking and reading, i think ive decided that im just gonna swap. the guy im getting the engine from said its pretty much just the engine and the head but ive obviously got everything that needs to go on the engine. so i have a few questions,

does anyone have a full list of things i need to get for an m20 to m20 swap? gaskets and all

does it matter if the engine is from a later or older model as far as wiring and fitment?

and, will the bently or haynes walk me through this pretty much? or does someone have a write up?

what else can/needs to be done while the engine is out, im gonna respray the engine bay and clean up the wiring but what else should i do with the tranny and everything else

sorry to everyone who has already answred questions.. i feel as if ive been bi polar with this. thanks again to everyone
    1986 325es

Its not hard. Just ahve the right tools around

Metric wrench set, metric socket set, an engine hoist, a few friends, and some screwdrivers, lol

Pull it out as one piece, just hook it up to the engine hoist hook on the front of the engine. It will be scary but dont worry it will work.

lay the combo on a pallet and then go to work, lol

Comment

what about tranny gaskets?
      1986 325es

Comment

Order the seals and install them on the pallet?

Comment

5 TOES what he said. Plus a Big Fucking Hammer never hurt anybody, or did it.
          sigpic

Comment

rear main seal? never done tranny work... ever
            1986 325es

Comment

As you take things apart you will see what would be hard to do on car. Do everything that you woudlnt want to do later. lol

Id include rear main in that category

Comment

If the transmission isnt leaking now dont worry about swapping any gaskets.

There arent any gaskets you will need to replace due to you switching the transmission from one m20 to another, unless you damage one in the transition process.

If you really want to do the rear main seal to be preventative about a leak I would recommend that you invest in a Bentley manual for the E30. They are available via Amazon. It isnt a difficult job, but you sound like the type of car guy who could use very clear cut instructions, and this book provides them.

Invest in some sort of torch to heat up stubborn nuts and bolts. Especially if you want to replace the rear main seal. I have recently picked one up myself and it makes things much much easier 95% of the time.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

i don't really need clear cut instructions ive just been in the middle of too many jobs and not had the right parts, tools ect. so im making sure ive got what I need
                  1986 325es

Comment

Originally posted by ahalfacre5 View Post
                    i don't really need clear cut instructions ive just been in the middle of too many jobs and not had the right parts, tools ect. so im making sure ive got what I need
                    Irregardless of that fact, I would still recommend you invest in a Bentley. It will give you a much clearer mental picture of what tools you will need to complete a project than simply asking on a forum.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

oh one other thing... does my wiring harness matter as far as the year of the new engine goes?
                      1986 325es

Comment

lol...irregardless...

any b25 or supereta harness will do.

you'll find that if you wait until swap day to do the gaskets and seals...you'll spend a LONG time on them.
                        1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                        1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                        1974 2002tii / stock
                        2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Remember to remove your oil pan ground wire.
                          It seems to be a forgetful habit following friends and I.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

^
                            and the slave. i've gnarled up those fittings a couple times.
                            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                            1974 2002tii / stock
                            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                              lol...irregardless...

any b25 or supereta harness will do.

you'll find that if you wait until swap day to do the gaskets and seals...you'll spend a LONG time on them.
                              My senior supervisor used irregardless in a huttle meeting and I chuckled.

Comment

Working...
                              X