m20 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 swap

How much (roughly) am I looking to spend for a motor swap. Model of car would be an 89-91 318i. And I'd be dropping in an 89-91 325i m20?

You should be able to get a good engine, transmission, and drive shaft for less than $1000, perhaps well less. If the car is to be a daily driver that sees a lot of highway time you may want to replace the 4.10 differential in the car now with a 3.73.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I swapped an M20B25 into a 325e. It's not so much the expense of the motor as it is the extras that come along with it. I figured that while I had the motor out of the car I'd do the timing belt and water pump, but if I could go back now I'd do the head gasket and all related gaskets.

I paid $300 for an M20B25 with the G260, clutch and short shift kit. You just have to wait and look for good deals. They're there.

I do recommend bringing a compression tester and doing a compression test on the motor if it is out of the car already. No use buying a $500 M20 that you'll spend $800 rebuilding in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy348 View Post
        I swapped an M20B25 into a 325e. It's not so much the expense of the motor as it is the extras that come along with it. I figured that while I had the motor out of the car I'd do the timing belt and water pump, but if I could go back now I'd do the head gasket and all related gaskets.

I paid $300 for an M20B25 with the G260, clutch and short shift kit. You just have to wait and look for good deals. They're there.

I do recommend bringing a compression tester and doing a compression test on the motor if it is out of the car already. No use buying a $500 M20 that you'll spend $800 rebuilding in two weeks.
        THISx1000

I bought a m20b25 for 250, already had trans and drive shaft, but all the extras add up, you want to do the timing belt, water pump, head gasket, resurface head, new clutch fly wheel, all other gaskets clean the engine up, new motor mounts, trans mounts, guibo ect.

so the main parts (motor trans drive shaft) pretty cheap id say 6-800, but with all other extras (not counting mistakes lol) prob about 12-1600 depending on how you go about it.

Im about 1000 in on my e to i swap and not nearly done yet.
        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Thank you. Great info guys. This guy as has a v8 swap started in his 318 already. And a rebuilt 89 m20. So things are already hacked up in the engine compartment. So is it worth stripping those thing and starting at point A with the m20 or finish the swap. I'm thinking the m20 cause the v8 will be hard to smog and run past the California state referee.

Comment

Originally posted by SkurtleyE30 View Post
            Thank you. Great info guys. This guy as has a v8 swap started in his 318 already. And a rebuilt 89 m20. So things are already hacked up in the engine compartment. So is it worth stripping those thing and starting at point A with the m20 or finish the swap. I'm thinking the m20 cause the v8 will be hard to smog and run past the California state referee.
            I would think that a V8 swap into an E30 would have to be done just right to pass inspection in California. You'd probably have to use every part of the intake, exhaust, and emissions control system from the car the V8 came from.

An M20, using all stock parts would be easier.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ya I think I found a nice dd (running) 325i for $2300. Now Idk what to do first?! And suggestions?

Comment

Working...
              X