325e starts then dies immediately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325e starts then dies immediately

I recently picked up a 1987 325es. A few days ago I was getting a bunch of thing done on it that you do when you first buy an e30. The car had been running fine, I drove it from home 70 miles, changed the spark plugs, intake boot and fuel filter, then drove it around the block several times. While it was running in the driveway the car died. When I try to start it back up, it will start up just fine revving up to about 1500rpm then just die all in one swift movement. I can do this over and over again with no change, starts and dies. Pushing on the gas makes no change at all.
    With the drivers window down and a can of brakleeen I can start it and spray in the intake and it makes no difference at all so I know it is not a lack of fuel. If I keep the key in the start position the car will run and I can rev the engine just fine but clearly it is dragging the starter. I put a new ignition switch in it and it made no difference. Help me out here guys, any ideas?

-Mac
    1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
    2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
    2003 X5 3.0

I have the same exact problem I can't figure it out either. :(

Comment

Try a new main relay.
      sigpic
      327is
      325es
      325es
      318is
      Fiesta ST
      E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
        Try a new main relay.
        I have replaced the main relay with no change. Replaced the ignition switch with no change.
        1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
        2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
        2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Did you ever find out the solution? My 325e does this

Comment

Sounds like your fuel pump(s) is not getting power when key is in the run position. Try to jumper the fuel pump relay to see if it starts.

If that doesn't help, check for spark and voltage at the coil.

Edit: Didn't find the thread, but I found the pic I made.
            Last edited by 603Racing; 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM. Reason: added pic
            90 325i DD/Track
            03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
            It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Another thought, if it will not fire at all even while cranking, it could be the security "feature" of the OBC. There are two wires that you can jumper near a relay above the driver side kick panel. There are a couple write-ups on that as well.

Essentially what happens is the security in the OBC craps out and disables the car. You bypass this by jumpering the wires. There are no issues with leaving them jumpered together forever.
              90 325i DD/Track
              03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
              It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Did you happen to unplug the AFM or knock a vacuum hose loose? I always forget to put the breather hose back on the valve cover and has the same symptoms.
                '86 Delphin 335i turbo -
                '88 Schwarz 325i -
                '94 w124 e420 -
                Turbo m30b35 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by PimpinWalrus View Post
                  Did you happen to unplug the AFM or knock a vacuum hose loose? I always forget to put the breather hose back on the valve cover and has the same symptoms.
                  Got stranded once because the AFM boot to the throttle popped off on the bottom and I couldn't tell. Started but died immediately.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my 89is, replaced Isv, problem solved

Yerrp Industries
                    www.facebook.com/yerrpindustries

Comment

i have a 1984 bmw 325e that i bought as a no start and replaced the starter and after that the car starts but then shuts off, i detected that it wasnt getting voltage to the fuel pump that goes in the fuel tank so i decided to replace the fuel pump relay and it still does the same thing, and their some green and purple wires under the dash that are the same color as the fuel pump wire but thicker anyone know what this might be cause i think it has to do something with it but not sure, please comment, thank you

Comment

^^^^^

Test the fuse for fuel pump, it's no.11, 15amp

Yerrp Industries
                        www.facebook.com/yerrpindustries

Comment

While you are checking the electrical system, did you ever remove the battery? Make sure you tighten it up - similar thing happened to me (car was running then sudden die) - turn out the loose connection on the battery terminal caused that....
                          Current:
                          '88 325ic Silver 5sp
                          '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Past:
                          '14 Rav4 EV (with tons of torque!)
                          '06 325i Black 5sp
                          '02 S4 Avant Black 6sp
                          '00 Boxster Silver 5sp
                          '98 New Bettle Yellow 5sp

Comment

The battery was on good there is just no voltage going to the fuel pump which i think is because of some wire's that go under the dash board, that are the same color as the fuel pump wire (green and purple) but don't know what they connect to,on the link below you can see what the wires look like,can someone check what they are for, I would really appreciate it
                            Last edited by Rickyloc187@yahoo.com; 03-06-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

The fuel pump fuse is good too

Comment

Working...
                              X