Help! Coolant leak.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Coolant leak.....

My coolant check might just went on and I looked and I'm leaking from this hose maybe?
    It's under the intake manifold. Anyone else run into this problem? Any advise?

photo (5) by rtaruc, on Flickr

photo (4) by rtaruc, on Flickr

Pictures aren't working.
    sigpic

Comment

Pictures work now

Comment

Check the Throttle Body Heater lines. Those things always blow gaskets and its in the general area where your leak is at. If its that, you're better off just connecting the lines together than fixing the problem; once the TB-heater blows, its pretty much not worth your pennies to fix

Either that or get better pictures ;)

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
          Check the Throttle Body Heater lines
          Those things always blow gaskets and its in the general area

If its that, your better off just connecting the lines together than fixing the problem; once the TB-heater blows, its pretty much not worth your pennies to fix
          Cool I'll check that out. Coolant runs through there?

Comment

First, check if that's even your damage; Its hard to tell from your pictures whats leaking

If it is, then there are two small coolant lines, one on the front of the block on the thermostat housing and the back of the block: they connect to the Throttle Body in a U shaped cul de sac that makes up the heater. Just slice the lines and bypass the heater with a brass hose splicer

5Toes has a write-up somewhere..
            Last edited by JinormusJ; 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks, but it looks like it's leaking under that maybe?
              Looks like parts #'s 10-13

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                First, check if that's even your damage; Its hard to tell from your pictures whats leaking

If it is, then there are two small coolant lines, one on the front of the block on the thermostat housing and the back of the block: they connect to the Throttle Body in a U shaped cul de sac that makes up the heater. Just slice the lines and bypass the heater with a brass hose splicer

5Toes has a write-up somewhere..
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=231714
                Actually, you're right. It is coming through that hose. Cool, gonna try it tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

10-13 is the crankcase breather, no coolant there. It's leaking higher up and running down.

Comment

Originally posted by paperclip View Post
                    Actually, you're right. It is coming through that hose. Cool, gonna try it tomorrow. Thanks!
                    Glad your figuring this out :up:

Comment

Its most likely the cork gasket on the throttle body. Those are notoriously for failing especially when you use the green coolant. Use the blue BMW coolant, it's only $21a gallon (with a BMWCCA discount). If I recall BMW put out a study on why there coolant is the one you should use. Apparently the green stuff eats away at the seals.

Comment

Originally posted by joeym215 View Post
                        Its most likely the cork gasket on the throttle body. Those are notoriously for failing especially when you use the green coolant. Use the blue BMW coolant, it's only $21a gallon (with a BMWCCA discount). If I recall BMW put out a study on why there coolant is the one you should use. Apparently the green stuff eats away at the seals.
                        Really? Where can you get this? Cause after replacing the hose from the throttle body to the lower block, there is still a leak somewhere..

Comment

Part number 21 is the cork gasket that normally fails.

Both the coolant and the gasket are available at your local BMW dealership. I think the gasket is like $1 and it needs to be special ordered. If you are committed to keeping your car on the road I would invest the $40 per year for BMWCCA membership. You get a discount on parts and cars at BMW dealerships. My membership already paid for itself this year. (Shameless BMWCCA membership plug)

Comment

Working...
                          X