Clear All

SOLO STX engine prep

about what can i expect to have in bhp
    when i prep my car for STX?

that means headers, high flow cat, any muffler
    any intake filter(no need for box), stock afm,
    stock TB, any chip, stock injectors, stock valvetrain

i have researched this and found a few different threads
    but nothing that really says this setup.

or should i just say screw STX entirely and go with 284 cam
    miller maf and bigger TB as well? with a rebuild including 50 over bore
    head decking, valve job and head porting to be done when i get the cash.

171bhp
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

A better question might be:

The car makes ???hp and ???tq on a dyno now, what increase can I expect with those mods?
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Or just buy a BRZ/frs.
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          A better question might be:

The car makes ???hp and ???tq on a dyno now, what increase can I expect with those mods?
          well i have no clue where i am currently. my car does have 170k+ on it, so it
          is not brand new by any means.... runs very well though.

so what kind of an increase might one see with those mods in general?

and i would love to have a brz but i can't swing that kind of money.

Comment

How much to expect really depends on the condition of the engine. The degree of ring/cylinder wear, degree of cam wear, and degree of valve & guide wear are all going to affect the power of the engine and what could be obtained by headers, a more free flowing exhaust, and a chip. The stock airbox is as good as it gets on an M20B25, so no gains there.

Now in the case of a built engine (overbore, fully decked head with cam timing correction, blueprinted cam, rebuilt head with three angle valve seats, balanced) Dynojet numbers in the 160 to 164rwhp range are possible with everything stock except the exhaust from the down tubes back. Headers would bump that up a bit as would a chip.

Unless done by someone with a lot of experience and a flow bench, porting the head can do more harm than good. That is a job best placed in the hands of an expert. The folks at Metric Mechanic come readily to mind.

Comment

so basically you are saying that with an extensive rebuild to stock specs and the aforementioned upgrades it is possible to somewhere in the 170whp range?
              if so that is actually quite nice numbers.

I plan on doing a rebuild in the next year or so but i am kinda torn on whether to just do a rebuild to stock or to do a maxed out rebuild. if i did everything to the max then it would take me out of the class i want to be in but would be a better base if i wanted to go more power later on...........

Comment

Originally posted by Daeldalus View Post
                so basically you are saying that with an extensive rebuild to stock specs and the aforementioned upgrades it is possible to somewhere in the 170whp range?
                if so that is actually quite nice numbers.
                Yep, if done correctly you should be able to get into the low to mid 170 range (on a DynoJet).

Comment

instead of having three "how much HP" threads a day why doesn't someone just
                  start an "Ultimate Horsepower" thread where you can compile all the most common HP
                  questions and answers along with any dyno results that go along with each.
                  you could then add to the thread any new questions anyone may have about it
                  and then get that thread made a sticky.

just my .02

Comment

Working...
                  X