Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    Yes.

There is a plug that covers the hole were the mechanical distributor used to go. It is that way because the layshaft that drives the oil pump is what the dist was driven off of. All those pieces are still required dist or not. If you remove the plug and install the dist it will function just like the early M20 although the dist cap might hit the B25 intake manifold.

The gear on the IX layshaft is cut reverse because it spins the oil pump the other way the mech dist does not mesh and it would not want to spin backwards anyway.
    Wow. Well, thank you for that. I've been around my 325i for 7 years and my Father's iX for 2 and never knew this! Sorry to hijack the thread, I'll leave now :)
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

So is it possible to switch from the old model style mech distributor and install a newer version distributor on my engine? Or would that throw up other ECU-related issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Gooneric View Post
        So is it possible to switch from the old model style mech distributor and install a newer version distributor on my engine? Or would that throw up other ECU-related issues?
        You would need to convert the entire engine management over to Motronic.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Ahh ok scrap that then

Comment

Just an update , i pulled the distributor out..took out all the parts ..there seemed to be a bit of corrosion on the part i described earlier ( with the prongs ).. i cleaned that up , put it back together , turned the key and it started instantly. Only problem is a slight misfire which i think i can put down to that small broken piece on the impulse sending wheel. I have a used distributor coming to me soon , so i'll see if i can replace the part or use that one and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X