m20 with cam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 with cam.

I'm in the process of restoring a 91 Cabrio and I'm looking to do some upgrades while the engine is out of the car. Plans so far is Ebay header, single 2.5" exhaust to a Borla, intake, Chip (still dont know which), 17.5# inj, maf, and 272 cam. Along with all these, I will have LW flywheel and new clutch set. How much power am i looking at after tune, and how streetable is it with 272 cam? Also consider my m20 only have 115k and ran excellent. Thanks guys

m20 doesn't give you a high hp numbers unless you boost it, or build a massive stroker motor, but with your mods it'll be nice to drive, the cam wont affect the idle much and it's good for street use ..

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

As sayed said, it'll be about as much as you can do without going FI or stroker. In short, what you've got is pretty much spot on for a fun&reliable street car.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Tken View Post
        I'm in the process of restoring a 91 Cabrio and I'm looking to do some upgrades while the engine is out of the car. Plans so far is Ebay header, single 2.5" exhaust to a Borla, intake, Chip (still dont know which), 17.5# inj, maf, and 272 cam. Along with all these, I will have LW flywheel and new clutch set. How much power am i looking at after tune, and how streetable is it with 272 cam? Also consider my m20 only have 115k and ran excellent. Thanks guys

170bhp stock

youll be at maybe 190+/-10bhp with a good tune. Theres not much to gain with out a turbo or expensive stroker set up

depending on the type of intake (i recommend stock air box

and a 272 is very streetable

Comment

^^^^
          I think even those numbers are a bit optimistic.

The stock m20 is 178hp at the crank. So at the wheels you're looking at like 150hp. Add your cam(maybe 5-10hp at the crank), headers and exhaust(maybe 5jp crank) then your injectors and tune(maybe 10 crank). Those are all pretty optimistic numbers and you'd still only be flirting with 175whp.

As said before, it'll be a fun car for sure. But you absolutely will not break the 200hp mark.

Not much can be squeezed from the m20. It's a well tuned and well powered motor from the factory. Pretty much maxed out power wise.

Good luck with your build and have fun!

Taylor
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

168chp stock, not 178. The exhaust will do nothing worth mentioning for performance, the cam will give it a nominal bump in the upper rpm range. The lightened flywheel will wake the engine up more than the cam. With all your mods combined I would be surprised if it netted you 15chp. It will be a peppy street engine thats fun to drive though.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
            HSAX Instructor

Comment

Stock exhaust, stock intake, and cam with a good tune is your best route

I hate when people go bolting on "free flow exhaust" and "cold air intakes"
              Honestly factory is the best on these things, they just need a cam and proper fuel/timing

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
                ^^^^
                I think even those numbers are a bit optimistic.

The stock m20 is 178hp at the crank. So at the wheels you're looking at like 150hp. Add your cam(maybe 5-10hp at the crank), headers and exhaust(maybe 5jp crank) then your injectors and tune(maybe 10 crank). Those are all pretty optimistic numbers and you'd still only be flirting with 175whp.

As said before, it'll be a fun car for sure. But you absolutely will not break the 200hp mark.

Not much can be squeezed from the m20. It's a well tuned and well powered motor from the factory. Pretty much maxed out power wise.

Good luck with your build and have fun!

Taylor

Factory whp is 134. I was being a tad optomistic hints the +/- 10 lol

Comment

Working...
                X