Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eta motor took a dump so i have my 88 325i m20 need opinions to double check parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eta motor took a dump so i have my 88 325i m20 need opinions to double check parts

okay so long story short drive home everything was smooth driving got 20ft from the pad and all of a sudden tick tick ping PING PING BAM BAM ol eta is done. i've been bored with the eta motors anyways and been planning on swapping to something different so I'm not to bummed but i am in a rush to swap my 88 325i m20 in to the eta chassis and i just need your help with double checking my parts list to complete the swap so here we go.

Engine harness with adaptors (mods)

ECU

cooling system

MAF

Cluster

Mods to the hole the harness goes through to the engine bay

Possible fuel mods???

please let me know of any other things needed to help thanks.

I'm, not sure what "Engine harness with adaptors (mods)" means. But you pretty much have everything needed.

This is a difference in the cooling system layout between the ETA engine and the 88 engine. You can update the car to match (radiator, expansion tank, & hoses). Or you can change the water pump on the 88 to the early style (up to 8/87) and eliminate the cross over tube on the front of the engine.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks man sounds good and what I meant was the c101 adapater on the harness I think its called are there any splicing involved.?

Comment

That rather depends on the production date of your ETA car. If it has the round C101, you will need to cut the wire to pin 20 of C101 on the body side. To get the tachometer and econometer to work you can graft a C104 connecter onto the engine harness or rewire the car to take those signals to C101. It is a bit more involved if the car doesn't have the round C101.

Comment

Yeah it has a round c101 im kind of familiar with doing the wires to adapt the connectors. I just need to pull up the wiring diagrams from both cars cut and splice the wires into The right pin #'s right?

Comment

Cant you use the same eta water pump on the I motor?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              Cant you use the same eta water pump on the I motor?
              I think that pump is the same as one for a 9/86-8/87 M20B25. So yes.

Comment

Yeah they look the same and have the same set up but may as well replace it while I have the chance to. Oh and what about that little green box next to the ecu I think its for the fuel but does that need to be replaced as well? And another thing I just thought of I have a pretty new clutch from my 86eta and its the duel mass double spring pressure plate I think thats what they are but will the eta clutch work on the I motor or my 87 one work does that need to be replaced?

Comment

Working...
                X