Tty bolts, clearances, and general engine assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tty bolts, clearances, and general engine assembly

Just got the block honed, oringed, cleaned, and I pistons mounted onto e rods. I just have a few questions before I finish this up.

1) crank wasnt polished but I will be using all new bearings. Is this goimg to cause issues? Im jist concerned that the crank has worn ever so slightly and with new bearings the clearances would be off or prematurely wear the bearings.

2) any other torque to yield bolts in the block? I read the rod cap bolts were how about the main journal caps?

3) does anyone have a list of clearance/torque specs? All data did not have clearance specs, and the torque specs were listed by bolt size/grade which seems to make things not as simple as saying oil pan bolts are x ft lbs. If this is in the bentley for sure just let me know because I lost mine.

4). Does the bentley/thread explain piston/bearing positioning. As in where the notches in the bearings face.

I ran into space and funds issues so seemed to have lost track of these things. Of course, this happens on my first engine rebuild. You live and you learn. Any input is appreciated, and have a great holiday.

Poor Adam

in for a answers. curious to see what info is out there

Comment

Use the Purple Stuff

Comment

The Bentley has a table of bearing "colors" vs crank journal diameter. You measure the journals (to a ten thousandth) and pick the bearings for that diameter. Most of the time one color will work for all journals. But occasionally bearings from two or more colors will be necessary.

Head and rod bolts are the only TTY bolts on the engine. Again, the Bentley has the torque tables.

You really need a Bentely!
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X