Crazy rattle noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy rattle noise

So I was getting off the freeway a little bit ago and was having a little fun since I haven't really done anything in the e30 for awhile other than daily it. I just put in a completely rebuilt motor with the e bottom and I head camed and all that fun stuff. And it just started making a weird rattle noise like something was loose. I pulled the tranny and my flywheel was loose fixed it and it didn't go away. So I pulled the motor and popped the pan and check all my clearances on all lower bearing and all are good, new timing belt and gears too. Put it back in last night and it runs great solid idle throttle response no dumby lights on but the rattle noise is still there... I'm stumped so just trying to get some other opinions on maybe what to check?
    Stroked out and poked out

My first step would be this...

Comment

Never really had much luck with those...

Comment

Video might help us as well.

Is the noise rpm related or speed?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Well it's not a ticking noise it's almost like something is loose. It's not terribly loud but it does increase with the rpm

Comment

Could be you just need a valve adjustment. Post of a video.

Comment

Here is a video and I don't think it's just a valve adjustment... Haha

Comment

Sounds like a rod bearing to me, but have a pro diagnose the noise.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Agreed.

Just curious does pressing the clutch have any affect on it

Comment

You sure its from the engine?
                    My driveshaft used to make a similar sound when the csb went out.
                    harry/harout

Comment

Cars not moving so neither is the drive shaft

Comment

Almpst sounds like really bad getrag rattle. Hard to tell from a video though. +1 on pressing clutch pedal changes anything.
                        -Andy

Comment

Clutch in sounds doesn't go away, when I just pulled the motor I checked all the mains, and rod bearings and everything was in tolerance. The rods aren't bent or anything, I popped the valve cover off and started it and everything is getting oil. The only thing I didn't do when it was out was pull the head and check the pistons... So my guess right now is that I have a wrist pin loose. I'm just very angry because this motor only has 16,xxx on it and I treat it like a baby

Comment

I just don't want it to be something so simple and I do all this extensive work on it

Comment

When I did my head gasket a few months ago I let one of those tiny washers get into the intake, eventually got sucked into a cylinder. It sounded a lot like this. Maybe a scope into the spark plug holes could see something.

Comment

Working...
                              X