X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Radiator and Fan Suggestions

On my 91 vert, M20, 5 speed...
    I need to replace the radiator and the fan
    With the heat in Las Vegas and being a vert, every little bit helps.
    Although the sock setup may be okay, since I'm getting new parts Im wondering if;
    1-the conversion to E36 etc radiators cools better
    2-The details of a conversion to a two speed spal puller fan

Im not really fond of the sound of the fan pulling air.
    In stop and go the stock setup isnt best.

I thought there was some nice custom mounts but I could only find them for an E36 radiator, which is another reason to switch.

For the AC i may upgrade the pusher fan later on also

Any thoughts, except 'keep it stock', would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by WhyNot; 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM.
    Originally posted by der affe
    What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
    Originally posted by navid41691
    And no, I use lotion so I don't have to worry about skin irritation.
    '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

any one from arizona with any experience in this?
    What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
    '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

Comment

If the stock cooling system is struggling, even in 100F ambients, something is wrong with the cooling system/fan clutch, or the engine is running lean. If it only happens when AC is in use look to the aux fan and/or it's thermo switch.

That said, you can replace the stock radiator with a slightly more effective one. But to improve on the stock fan/clutch you will need to use a 16" electric fan rated at greater than 2000CFM. Which will make much more noise than the stock fan.

I realize that you said "Any thoughts, except 'keep it stock'", but the BMW engineers knew what they were doing when the car was designed. The odds of a "field solution"improving on that design are slim.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I think the stock system is good if working properly but if your upgrading how about a higher pressure reservoir cap and maybe also a factory fuel line cooler that was used in some E30's in hot climates?
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          But to improve on the stock fan/clutch you will need to use a 16" electric fan rated at greater than 2000CFM. Which will make much more noise than the stock fan.

I realize that you said "Any thoughts, except 'keep it stock'", but the BMW engineers knew what they were doing when the car was designed. The odds of a "field solution"improving on that design are slim.
          thanks for the replies.
          i am rethinking my re-engineering of the system.
          probably a new stock radiator, an ac freshen up and spal on the front will do the trick

Comment

You could try a triple pass radiator - there is more passes of the coolant through the radiator than the stock double pass. You could also put a 72 degree thermostat in so that it is essentially always open. A new fan clutch will probably work a bit better than your old one, locking quicker and turning with the engine more reliably. A metal fan water pump will also be more reliable. But aside from that, if your car cannot cool reliably with those adjustment you have bigger cooling problems / mixture issues.

Comment

Working...
            X