New Motor High Idle and Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Motor High Idle and Knock

Alright guys...I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I have two issues!

I just recently built an m20b25 to a 3.1liter stroker for my 91' 325ix

It's been about 4,000 miles since I put the motor in. It was professionally built and professionally installed in the car and cost about $6000 so I'm not looking forward to spending more money on it.

Yesterday morning I went to go to work and heard a very loud knock/ticking noise. So I shut it off and had my dad drive me to work.

Next day I backed it into the garage and almost cried listening to the knock. So we adjusted the valves started it up and the sound was still present. The video at the bottom is my car and it should give you a good idea of what it sounds like.

We decided since it was dead and in the garage it would be a good time to replace the tps (which had been bad since the motor was put in.)

After putting it in we started the car, the check engine light turned off, but the car idled to 1500 rpm and started climbing the rpm. So I'm not sure what we did wrong. We followed pelicans tutorial by turning the tps until it gave continuity and then screwing it down. Is this the correct way to install it? (Can you tell me he correct way?)

Video showing the knocking sound and 1500rpm idle which started to rise up past 2200 after the video stopped (Please forgive the power steering pump noises)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWGHi...uyI-ZA&index=1

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

does TPS click when throttle plate is shut? sounds like the throttle is open past the idle click. dial back the set screw and see if you can get it to goto idle mode.

7speedshop.com

Comment

hope im wrong but that sounds like a rod knock
      sigpic
      E30love

Comment

While that noise could be from the valve train, I'm more inclined to suspect rod knock. A bit of work with an automotive stethoscope will tell if the noise is from the top or bottom of the engine.

The TPS is correctly adjusted when the idle switch closes as detected by a meter or test light when the throttle stop arm is 1mm off the stop screw.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          The TPS is correctly adjusted when the idle switch closes as detected by a meter or test light when the throttle stop arm is 1mm off the stop screw.
          Do you mean before there's continuity just before the click or after there is continuity at the click?

Comment

Definitely sounds like rod knock. I would take the car back to the "professionals" who built and installed the engine and have them fix it.
            1988 E30 335i - 1987 E30 327i - 1987 E30 327iS Pickup - 1973 2002 Project

Visit www.BimmerHeads.com for all of your 12 valve needs!

Comment

Working...
            X