Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions wile replacing head gasket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions wile replacing head gasket???

I will be replacing my head gasket and I have never done this before and am willing to learn it. I have the tools so. What would People recommend i do wile I'm ripping into this thing? It is a eta engine and I'm not looking for horsepower just improve reliability and overall mileage. I was thinking on replacing the pistons with lighter pistons and such but I'm not sure. Bavauto has those MaxSil pistons. I also plan on just replacing all the top end and lower end gaskets wile im at it and its out of the car. So what would you do wile the engine is torn down?
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

New valve guides,valve stem seals, 3 angle valve seat grind, machine the mating surface, new valve spring and new valves. If you want to measure your springs and valves a micrometer and a valve spring measurement tool can be bought at autozone. Pistons from wiseco are just under 1k and from VAC they are just over 1k. Are you doing bottom end or just head?

Comment

thats a bit more than i want to do lol ill be eventually replacing the whole thing with a S54. I just dont have the funds for the S54 yet.

sigpic

Comment

just do the simple , regular replacements , belts , waterpump , machine cylinder head , gaskets and anything that should and can be replace while your in there so you dont end up with problems in the end , no need for what he said if your gonna be doing a swap soon , make sure to clean the blocks mating surface very good , and its good to machine the cylinder head but some people dont , get the OEM gasket , aswell and your good
        Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
        1987 bmw e30 euro part out
        1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
        Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
        Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
        MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
        OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
        20psi

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwb View Post
          just do the simple , regular replacements , belts , waterpump , machine cylinder head , gaskets and anything that should and can be replace while your in there so you dont end up with problems in the end , no need for what he said if your gonna be doing a swap soon , make sure to clean the blocks mating surface very good , and its good to machine the cylinder head but some people dont , get the OEM gasket , aswell and your good
          thanks ill do that

sigpic

Comment

blocks a pain to clean as im still sitting here waiting for new cleaning products to grab , measuring for straightness is also key to what your doing so you know there is no warpage any were , that's were the machine shop comes in they will test all of that for you , and np , the blocks surface doesn't have to look clean just everything has to be gone , so that its smooth and the gasket will stick with no problems when the head goes back on .
            Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
            1987 bmw e30 euro part out
            1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
            Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
            Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
            MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
            OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
            20psi

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwb View Post
              blocks a pain to clean as im still sitting here waiting for new cleaning products to grab , measuring for straightness is also key to what your doing so you know there is no warpage any were , that's were the machine shop comes in they will test all of that for you , and np , the blocks surface doesn't have to look clean just everything has to be gone , so that its smooth and the gasket will stick with no problems when the head goes back on .
              awesome thanks ill get some info from some locals as to where to bring my car so i know I am getting quality work done.

sigpic

Comment

The only work on the head that is mandatory is to have surfaced. It may only need a minimal (0.005") cut. But having the valves ground and new seals will be well worth the additional cost.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                X