Clear All

1985 325e to 1989 325i wiring

car setup
    1985 bottom end
    89 325i top end
    89 325i toothed crank pulley
    89 325i cooling system
    Megasquirt ECU

SO I've been building a 327i turbo for a friend and the wiring harness that was with the 325i head is unusable and damaged, at least 4 wires are broken, and the rest have the insulation cracked and broken off leaving exposed wiring.

Since this car is an 85 the Fuse box connector is a square plug instead of the round late model plug.

I read online that a 1987 325i wiring harness is plug and play because it uses the square connector as well but I cant seem to fin any images/ or local 87 325i's to confirm that. Is this true?

What harness will be best to use? should I make a adapter to connect the fuse box from square to round or should I look for the 87 harness?

also will the OEM dual pump setup even work with the 325i harness?

7speedshop.com

The 87 M20B25 wiring harness has a round C101, so it isn't plug-n-play. The best solution is to get the body side of a round C101 and replace the square part in the car now. If the harness needs to be changed later no mods will be needed.

The fuel pump set up will work with the M20B25 harness.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

This has everything you need. Just follow the directions and connect like number to like number.

I had a body side round and an engine side square that i wired together to make into a "adapter" of sorts.

I used a 89 engine harness for my i motor so i had to splice into the c104 to get tach, that is also described in the link above.

87 is plug in play in that you dont need to splice, all you need is to make square meet round.
      84' 325i -> PRO3 #304
      Powered by Manntechnik
      Work in Progress Build Thread

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but since e30tech is down, is there ANY where else you know where to get this info from?
        That plug you have is the exact plug I need.

I've been searching for a few days and stumbled on your thread.

I'm in the middle of doing a 325i swap from an 86 into my 84 325e (11/83 build)

Originally posted by KEVORM View Post
        http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28921

This has everything you need. Just follow the directions and connect like number to like number.

I had a body side round and an engine side square that i wired together to make into a "adapter" of sorts.

I used a 89 engine harness for my i motor so i had to splice into the c104 to get tach, that is also described in the link above.

87 is plug in play in that you dont need to splice, all you need is to make square meet round.
        1991 318is
        F31 328d
        e70 x5d - DPF, DEF, SCR delete.
        135i cab
        F80 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Anthony View Post
          Sorry for reviving an old thread, but since e30tech is down, is there ANY where else you know where to get this info from?
          That plug you have is the exact plug I need.

I've been searching for a few days and stumbled on your thread.

I'm in the middle of doing a 325i swap from an 86 into my 84 325e (11/83 build)
          See if it is on this Google Drive of e30tech screenshots. Kudos to the original owner of this folder!

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).
          555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
          '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
          '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack
          ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
            See if it is on this Google Drive of e30tech screenshots. Kudos to the original owner of this folder!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...DVsU2tWOTJNY1U
            Thank you! I will take a look
            1991 318is
            F31 328d
            135i cab
            F80 M3

Comment

If you decide that you rather just get an adapter, I can help you out. I make the c104 and square c101 connectors. So you no longer have to send them to me to have one made.
              PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
                If you decide that you rather just get an adapter, I can help you out. I make the c104 and square c101 connectors. So you no longer have to send them to me to have one made.
                I haven't had time to play with it since I made this thread. How much do you sell the adapters for?
                1991 318is
                F31 328d
                135i cab
                F80 M3

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
                  I really wish this guy was still around lol

Comment

Let me clarify a few things for you. Not ALL 1987 325i harnesses are Motronic 1.3. Early production 87 325i cars were M1.1 which does not have the C191 connection at the fuel injectors. So I think mid year 87 they started putting in M1.3 which has the C191 plug at the fuel rail. You can tell by looking at the fuel rail and if there's a fuel rail and then another rail that holds the harness then it's a M1.3 Also, the M1.3 cars had the 63L fuel tank. Those fuel tanks are set up differently and don't have the primer pump in the tank like early production 87 and previous cars. So unless you plan on converting to a larger gas tank AND your can source a M1.3 harness, you need to find an 86 or early production 87 harness. HOWEVER, they aren't the easiest to find. You can also possibly snag a vert - however their engine harness is different slightly because they have the battery up front. I'm sure you can easily convert a "vert" harness to a coupe/sedan harness, but I've never done it. from what I've read, the only thing you really don't want to "repair" as far as harnesses on these cars are associated with ABS, I can't think of anything sans the CPS sensor that requires so much sensitivity WRT resistance. PS... make sure the crank bearings are new and put a baffle in there, or he'll be doing what I did... read the thread, it aint cheap.
                    Paynemw
                    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                    X