Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running rich and occasional Hesitation

Hey Guys,

I have an '86 325i (M20B25 obviously) which I've owned for about a month now. It has Schrick 288 cams, larger fuel injectors (I THINK they're 19lb/hr, not sure though) and exhaust but other than that as far as I can tell is pretty much stock. It's running pretty rich and chews threw a hell of a lot of fuel. Idle is inconsitant, sometimes it sits at about 900 just fine, sometimes it hunts between 600-1000ish. If I have the A/C on it will stall at idle which is a shame, as AC was one of the big selling points on this car coming from a car without it.

A few times during the time I have owned it it will hesitate badly when the accelerator is pushed while driving along at a stead RPM, dropping it down a gear or letting off and trying again seems to fix it though. This seems to happen particullarly after giving the car a good push (example, did a few highway pulls with a car, shortly after when just cruising a long again and wanting to accelerate a little it "hesitated"). Until yesterday this had only happened while driving along in 3rd gear or higher, although yesterday it started running like shit in first and second, was barely driveable. Turned it off and started it up again and all was fine though, and it has been since then.

Any idea's what could be causing these things? I'm new to BMW's and have done a lot of searching, but haven't had much luck. I changed the spark plugs, cleaned out the ICV and throttle body a week ago and did the fuel filter today (it hasn't happened since changing the fuel filter, but that might not mean anything considering how rare it happens, feels like its pulling a little nicer though). Air filter and an oil/oil filter change will be done when the parts show up. I've looked for vacuum leaks and found none, didn't smoke test it though.

I'm planning to put the car on Megasquirt in the near future, so don't want to be forking out money for things that will be replaced anyway (AFM etc), definitely want to sort out these little problems first though, unless they're ECU related.

Cheers guys

I would definitely find a place to do a smoke test then clean the CPS before doing anything else.

Comment

There was no b25 in 86. But it does sound like u either need an O2 sensor and check for air leaks. If the engine was swapped incorrectly you may have to check into deeper issues.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

it's definitely a real 325i from '86, it's a UK import, they got them earlier there.

today the car died completely on the highway and wouldn't start again, is not making any spark, the coil isn't getting a signal so I'm definitely thinking it must be a crank sensor or something similar

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Main relay, fusible link, and CPS would be the immediate suspects at this point.

If the engine has 19lb injectors and does not have a chip tuned for those, it is going to run rich (and poorly).
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
          X