Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Suspension, Motor, Tranny, EVERYTHING swap. Best way to do so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Suspension, Motor, Tranny, EVERYTHING swap. Best way to do so?

I recently picked up an incredibly clean E30 and originally was going to part it but because it is so clean (no cracks in the dash, no rips in leather, only one ding in the body, shiny paint, no rust, etc.) I decided I will take everything from my current car and put it in the new one. The new one has the engine in pieces (CLEAN pieces), and I need to do a swap to a 5spd as it currently has an auto. About two years ago I replaced EVERY bushing in the front and rear suspension, a s50 M3 rack, sway bars, Bilsteins, H&R's, brakes, etc. and my current cars drives great so when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING suspension and driveline wise (motor, tranny, suspension, steering rack, etc.).

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but haven't done anything this big before. Since I am swapping literally the whole driveline and suspension I am thinking about dropping the whole subframe with suspension attached and tranny from under the car and then bolting it back up to the new one (like here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...&postcount=16_). For the rear I will drop from the subframe with everything attached (already have done that).

Any pitfalls here? Seems pretty straight forward and with the driveline out of the old car I should "easily" be able to pull from the old for the new for the 5spd swap, refresh the engine bay and clean it all up a bit. Both cars are the same year, same body style, etc. only difference is one was originally an is (new) and the new one has an auto.

Thanks in advance for the advice! I will be sure to post up plenty of pics of the process.

FYI the "original" post of my $250 Zinno that I will be swapping from!

With a lift it is easy to remove/install the engine, transmission, subframe, and suspension as a unit. Likewise for the rear suspension. On jack stands, not so much due to the height of the front assembly. You'd want to pull everything from the old car and move the body out of the way on dollies.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      With a lift it is easy to remove/install the engine, transmission, subframe, and suspension as a unit. Likewise for the rear suspension. On jack stands, not so much due to the height of the front assembly. You'd want to pull everything from the old car and move the body out of the way on dollies.
      Thanks Jim for the post!

So you're saying this isn't possible? As I will be tearing down the front of both cars this weeks pretty straight forward and "simple" since I will be taking the whole front assembly out. Would be much easier it seems. Maybe I'm missing something?

Comment

THat looks very scary!

Comment

He said it's near impossible on jack stands.

With a hoist or lift its another story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

ps get a Z3 rack not the 95 m3 rack.

if you have a hoist or a ceiling crane lifting the chassis off the subframe is hands down the fastest way. you can do it in like 2-3 hours.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by paperplane94 View Post
              THat looks very scary!
              Yeah not ideal and safety is the #1 priority! With the proper precautions raising the front of the car while using the rear as a fulcrum should be easy and honestly not that heavy. Remember you're removing nearly everything besides the factory frame and body work.

Originally posted by FLG View Post
              He said it's near impossible on jack stands.

With a hoist or lift its another story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              I don't recall him calling it 'impossible' just not nearly as easy. Maybe pull the motor/tranny and then subframe as two seperate jobs. Would probably be pretty easy then right?

Also I will be taking off the WHOLE front clip, so I'll have extra clearance with the valance, radiator, etc. out of the way.

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
              ps get a Z3 rack not the 95 m3 rack.

if you have a hoist or a ceiling crane lifting the chassis off the subframe is hands down the fastest way. you can do it in like 2-3 hours.
              Sorry I think I do have the Z3 rack. Whichever one it is it is in my E30 and works great now!

Yeah checking on a few places for an engine crane lift/hoist. We will see what I can find.

Comment

FYI found this thread. Looks possible...

Comment

J! Once your swap is complete I will buy your old E30 for $251 (-:

If you are pulling off the front clip, shouldn't you be able to pull the motor out the front fairly easily? I've never done it so I don't know.

Comment

Lift= drop out the bottom, complete

No lift = get on your back, sucker. Yank that motor and trans out the top, twice.

Go kick some ass!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                      J! Once your swap is complete I will buy your old E30 for $251 (-:

If you are pulling off the front clip, shouldn't you be able to pull the motor out the front fairly easily? I've never done it so I don't know.
                      Haha I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the red one yet! I'll have enough parts for both for sure! Who knows maybe a dedicated track rat!

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      Lift= drop out the bottom, complete

No lift = get on your back, sucker. Yank that motor and trans out the top, twice.

Go kick some ass!

Luke
                      Yeah thinking it might have to be done in two pieces: 1) motor and tranny out the top, 2) subframe and suspension out the bottom. Not the end of the world just a little more time!

Oh and it will absolutely be kick ass!

Comment

Working...
                      X