How to tell which m20 block you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell which m20 block you have?

I'm looking into building a 2.7L stroker, and found a super eta block about 2 hours south of me. It's out of a 88 325 and the guy thinks it's a SETA block but isn't sure. He is parting the car out, and all that's left is the block. How can we find out if it's a SETA block or not?

Measuring the piston stroke will tell if the block is a 2.7l and as I recall the shape of the tops of the pistons for the SuperETA is different from those in an ETA.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The super eta pistons will be similar to an "i". Where the e is just dome, the I have indents.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the regular eta pistons don't have the little valve release scoops. The super eta and the i pistons, on the other hand, do. Is that correct?

Comment

Supereta pistons look like this:

Hard to see, but they do have the reliefs in them.
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by mother_russia View Post
            I'm looking into building a 2.7L stroker, and found a super eta block about 2 hours south of me. It's out of a 88 325 and the guy thinks it's a SETA block but isn't sure. He is parting the car out, and all that's left is the block. How can we find out if it's a SETA block or not?
            If it isn an 88 and is JUST a 325, it is a SuperEta.
            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

I have a SETA shortblock on the stand right now, and an I shortblock sitting close-by

The pistons look just like I unless you look close, the exhaust side relief on the seta is smaller. The blocks on both look the same, I confirm its super ETA by the crank stamped with H81, and pistons that look like an I. If you pop out the pistons you can also compare rods.
              You can see the stamp on the crank by just removing the oil pan.

Comment

Look through that

Comment

Working...
                X