Backfiring and other issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfiring and other issues

So for a while now my car has had hesitation issues. This has happened when I reach around 80mph or when I am at 90 - 100% throttle. On the way home my car started losing power and about 2 seconds later started backfiring. By losing power, I mean hitting the accelerator did barely anything except for causing more backfiring.

On the first backfire it shot out some bright glowing orange stuff... not sure what it was, but I immediately pulled over and turned off my car. I was a mile from my house and limped the car home. On the way back it would backfire over 25% throttle. Before all this happened, I was running low on gas earlier on in the day before work and was getting error code 1251. I then filled up my car after work with 91 octane since I have a dinan chip.

I'm going to check my spark plugs (which are new) tomorrow. But I have a new 02 sensor, plugs, distributor cap, CPS, fuel pump / filter and new coolant temp sensors (which is unrelated but just thinking of everything I've done recently).

Anyways, any thoughts on what the issue could be?

The first things I'd think of would be a fuel delivery issue or cam timing. A check of rail pressure and check of cam timing would be the first diagnostics.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by turge View Post
      I'm going to check my spark plugs (which are new) tomorrow.
      this makes me think you may of not properly re-installed yout sparkplug wires in the correct firring order, if this started right after you replaced your plugs...

might be something simple as to re-check firing order on plugs...
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
        this makes me think you may of not properly re-installed yout sparkplug wires in the correct firring order, if this started right after you replaced your plugs...

might be something simple as to re-check firing order on plugs...
        My cap and rotor turned out to be causing the backfiring issue. One of the bolts backed out on the cap which caused a majority of the problems since the whole thing was loose and not getting good spark. And my cars been having hesitation issues since before I replaced the plugs and everything. Still trying to diagnose the hesitation though. But it seems like the backfiring has gone away for now. It still hesitates around 80mph though. :/

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

try looking at your CPS just fixed my issue like that... , they run them near the belts and well you know what happens next mine was sliced in half ,
          Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
          1987 bmw e30 euro part out
          1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
          Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
          Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
          MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
          OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
          20psi

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwb View Post
            try looking at your CPS just fixed my issue like that... , they run them near the belts and well you know what happens next mine was sliced in half ,
            Ya, good point. The protective rubber around mine is starting to fall off. Might as well replace it since the part is fairly inexpensive.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

So it turns out my CAT is clogged. Got to get a new one now or... test pipes.

Comment

Working...
              X