Car is stinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is stinky

My car runs great . . . everything has been fixed and new parts abound. After driving the car for a while, when I shut it down in the garage with the door closed, it kinda stinks. Like old eggs or something. I have a NO2 sensor in the garage and it doesn't trip. Any ideas, or is this one of those "its an m20 - they just do that" situations.

Your cat is going on you.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      Your cat is going on you.
      Gross.

Comment

it's cause i took a shit in the trunk when you werent looking.

srsly tho. it's the cat, you need to replace it
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

Where would I look for mold? Around the exhaust? The interior smells fine. It's after the car has run, and the smell is on the outside.

Could be the CAT - I did run it for a while with it crazy rich. Any way to test a CAT without going to a smog place?

Comment

you have too much sulfur buildup in the cat. that's why it smells like rotten eggs.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
              it's cause i took a shit in the trunk when you werent looking.

srsly tho. it's the cat, you need to replace it
              Hahaha!
              IG: @_j.wn

Comment

my friend had a old firebird and the battery was old as time and after he ran it for a while it started giving the old rotten egg smell so maybe the battery?
                sigpic
                93 325i 120k
                mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
                future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Get yourself an IR thermometer and measure the cat temp when the car is running and fully hot. If the temp is below 400F then the cat is toasted. A good working cat should run at least 500F.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                    Get yourself an IR thermometer and measure the cat temp when the car is running and fully hot. If the temp is below 400F then the cat is toasted. A good working cat should run at least 500F.
                    Where are you measuring the temp? On the heat shield?

Comment

No, the heat shield will measure only @ 300F. Try to measure the actual cat.

Comment

I swapped out my O2 sensor with a newer one I had (few thousand miles on it, run rich and built up a lot of carbon), and the stink is much lower. Barely noticeable. I'll just see how she does come smog time, and if it doesn't pass worry about the CAT then.

Comment

Working...
                        X