Possible the AFM is shot......fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible the AFM is shot......fixed

1984 325e I haven't recently done any work on the vehicle. But have replaced the ICV, cold start and some hoses.Today I went to start it, it's barely running, wolnt idle, is quite obviously running extremely rich. I unplugged the o2 sensor with no change. Then when I unplugged the AFM, it runs fine. Not perfect but a daym site better. Is it reasonable to figure that's the problem?
    Last edited by ///eDirty; 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM.
    sigpic

No, when you unplug the AFM the DME loses mass flow data and goes to default fuel map. Having the idle better with the AFM disconnected could mean the AFM is bad, or it could mean that there is unmetered air entering the head (intake leaks). And intake leaks could look like a rich running engine as a result of lean misfires the leave unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Before replacing any parts, have a shop run a smoke test to check for intake leaks. If you don't have proof of the O2 sensor having 100k or less on it, replace with a new part.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

see you later tonight lol

Comment

Ok, also I replaced it already, but this "fuel accumulator?" to the cold start, started leaking like crazy at the same moment.. I had another one laying around and I put it on, stopped the leak but nothing else.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

I put another AFM that I sourced from cl. no change. Ima get a new o2 sensor and try a different ICV. I can't find any intake leaks, not to say I'm 100% sure there isn't. Idk, I'm flustered and done with it for tonight:/
          sigpic

Comment

dude i have an 02 sensor and a icv you can try just txt me.

Comment

Ok... I have a few more icv's, (no change). The o2 looked really beat (a Bosch autozone new one wasn't to pricey anyway) so figured why not. Il deff try your other DME tomro tho, hopefully that will make this stubborn eta happy.
              sigpic

Comment

Also to rule out other possible things, It has a new cap/rotor(they were quite toasty) still ran fine tho at the time. I didn't replace the coil, about two weeks ago I seen a friends mk2 vw act basically the same. Turned out the coil wasn't giving enough juice for proper spark.. Anyone ever heard of that on a e30?
                sigpic

Comment

Chriskbmx let me try another DME, and coil, I also replaced the plugs(pretty fouled), and o2 sensor. No change at all. I'm starting to think its a wiring issue. Bad ground maybe? I looking at the Bentley manual for the main ground points. It says the main engine ground is under the diagnostic port on the drivers side. It's not there(and never was), its a very early e30. Never had the Bentley mislead me before. Anyone else have an early 84 with weird ground points?
                  sigpic

Comment

I swapped in a fuel pressure regulator I got from the salvage yard today.. And it runs great. I think il get a new one but that was it. The diaphragm inside must have broke causing the engine to get an excessive amount of fuel pressure.. Explains the sudden considerable fuel leak too. Good thing as the fuel pump gave up in my other e30 today:/
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X