What to do with my M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with my M20

Soon im going to be doing a 24v swap on my car, well hopefully sooner than later. And there has been this issue as to what im going to do with my M20. im not sure if i want to sell it. I would like to keep it for a just in case thing. But then i have the dalema of what to do with it. When i complete my 24v swap my car will be done nothing more i want to do to it .......for now. So I was thinking. What would you do and/or what have you done with your spare M20? apart from selling it.

BTW its out of a 86 325 eta. so its a M20B27
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Are you thinking along the lines of stick it in some random car, or make a table out of it?
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
      Are you thinking along the lines of stick it in some random car, or make a table out of it?
      in a car. I do want to make furnature out of engine parts lol. Just not our of my M20.

sigpic

Comment

Buy a cheap e30 shell and swap in a drive-train?
        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
        1991 318is - Sold
        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

its a possibility if i can pick one up with a blown engine for cheap then swap it. But more specifically what would you do with the engine itself ? I am going to be ripping it totally apart and replacing all that needs it all the seals gaskets and such.

sigpic

Comment

With how easy it is to source an m20 I don't see any reason to keep it around for a "just in case" situation.

That being said if you must keep it without re-purposing it for furniture, then why not build a turbo motor? Take your time, learn what you need to learn as you source parts, and when it's done buy a clean shell for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlamedIAm View Post
              With how easy it is to source an m20 I don't see any reason to keep it around for a "just in case" situation.

That being said if you must keep it without re-purposing it for furniture, then why not build a turbo motor? Take your time, learn what you need to learn as you source parts, and when it's done buy a clean shell for it.
              I have considered that never been the biggest fan of FI for the soul reason of, lol, i dont like the way the turbo looks in the engine bay. If i could figure out how to kinda hide it a little then i would consider it more. Also I do not like the turbo lag. So I would be that guy who buys the really pricey variable turbo. ( i think thats what its called. ) If i did do that i would get a Multi-Throttle system for it. Like I said though, I have considered it.

On the other end of that. I understand the M20 is legendary for its relyability. The motor in question has over 300,000 miles on it and is in great shape. But what about these M20s being a high-revving engine?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SlamedIAm View Post

+1..this would be a great opportunity to learn some things and make a great turbo'd engine that you can run on the track :)
                sigpic
                93 325i 120k
                mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
                future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Originally posted by e30construction View Post
                  +1..this would be a great opportunity to learn some things and make a great turbo'd engine that you can run on the track :)
                  it would be fun to track a E30 i guess that will be my other project when my Current project is done. that way i dont have to think about tracking my 24v one.

sigpic

Comment

Put it in a go-cart.

Comment

^ Now were talking! Then again, a liter bike engine produces more horsepower, and gokarts don't need torque.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

tracking a turbo'd e30 would be full of win
                        sigpic
                        93 325i 120k
                        mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
                        future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Throw 200 head in the garbage
                          put 885 head on eta block
                          Build big turbo 2.7 on the side
                          ????????
                          Profit!
                          M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                            Throw 200 head in the garbage
                            put 885 head on eta block
                            Build big turbo 2.7 on the side
                            ????????
                            Profit!
                            Winner winner!
                            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_Omega View Post
                              there has been this issue as to what im going to do with my M20.
                              BTW its out of a 86 325 eta. so its a M20B27
                              Oh man, I hear ya! I had 3 or 4 of them, they don't fit in the trash can, the hassle of taking them to the recyclers with all the mess and smell and they don't make good boat anchors either.

Good luck, I only have 1 left and I am gonna turn it into a planter!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X