M20 air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 air intake

I have a KN cone intake and the adaper and everything that i got free from a car my buddy bought but he wanted it all stock. but i want to know is it really worth installing? without a heatsheild it will just suck in hot air and ill lose performance, but ive heard from people that heatsheilds dont accually do enough to fix the hotair problem. i just wanna know if its deffenitly worth putting on or if i should just buy a KN for my stock airbox. Thanks.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

for an m20, keep the stock airbox and put a k&n drop in filter.

Comment

I recommend keeping the stock airbox with a stock paper filter.
      Just say no to K&N.

-Erik

Comment

Yup. Stock box and stock filter. I have an OMP cone filter on mine because it sounds good. I know it robs a tiny bit of engine power :P
        This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

whats wrong with the k&n drop in?

Comment

ok ill keep the stock box... but why not a drop in filer? why the shitty OEM ones?

Comment

Because the OEM paper filter is cheap, and flows FAR more CFM then your engine will ever require.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr2004
                ok ill keep the stock box... but why not a drop in filer? why the shitty OEM ones?
                The "shitty" OEM ones flow better than a K&N, ITG, etc. Mahle makes some damn good filters.

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by King Luis
                  whats wrong with the k&n drop in?
                  The stock paper filter flows better than the KN drop in. Also, it filters better, so you have less dirt and other crap getting sucked into your motor.

There was a test done where somebody compared a whole list of different filters, and the stock paper filter performed better than the K&N. I don't have the link though.

The only benefit of having a K&N is that you can wash and reuse it. It is still cheaper to just buy a new paper filter though.

-Erik

Comment

ok thanks alot everyone, i only wanted alittle more power but stay mostly stock so now i know that cold air isnt the answer, ill probibly go with a plasma booster or somthing simple like that, im not even chiped yet, ok anyway thanks

Comment

If you want a bunch of power, swap in an American v8

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

If you want a bunch of power, swap in an American v8
                        My god... the answer was right in front of me all along. Thanks for the realization haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr2004
                          ok thanks alot everyone, i only wanted alittle more power but stay mostly stock so now i know that cold air isnt the answer, ill probibly go with a plasma booster or somthing simple like that, im not even chiped yet, ok anyway thanks
                          A plasma booster will do less than a hot air intake, I'd wager. A cone filter at least makes extra noise.

If you're on that limited of a budget right now, I say just save your money for mods that are actually effective and work well in conjunction with each other. If anything, get a Mark D. chip, and appreciate the best performance boost you can get for $200.
                          Last edited by Scott314; 02-08-2006, 08:22 AM.

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

Working...
                          X