Oil Pressure light on, Car drives fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure light on, Car drives fine?

So I was driving to work today and after driving for about 10 Minutes I noticed that the Oil Pressure light was on, wasn't sure if it was on when I first started the car.

So obviously I freaked out and pulled over, turned the engine off, Checked the oil (Level looked good), Checked under the car for leaks (None at all), Opened the oil cap (No smoke or anything coming out, could see oil in the head). The car was driving fine and idling just fine too, didn't make any wierd noises or didn't notice any power loss at any RPMS.

Yesterday though, I did change the coolant on the car, I spilled some in the engine bay when filling the expansion tank. So I just covered the main electrics and the distributor cap and hosed down where I spilled with a pressure washer, I remember seeing steam from the hot engine.

After checking everything when pulled over, I started the car back up and the oil pressure light stayed on until I got to work (about 20 minutes of driving). When I got to work I checked again and everything still looked normal...

Is it possible that some water could be on the oil pressure sensor and is tripping it? Or could it be something like a clogged filter or pump? or something even worse :(

You could have damaged the wiring with the pressure washer. Or the pressure switch could have simply failed.

If there is nothing obviously wrong, the right thing to do in this case would be to temporarily replace the oil pressure with a mechanical pressure gauge and see what the oil pressure is.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

So I had a look under the car, pulled the plug for the oil pressure sensor and SPLASH! A whole bunch of water came splashing out. I cleaned it out and am going to try it out again after letting it air dry. I have a feeling that may have been the problem.

Comment

Water in the small boot or in the oul lol.

Comment

In the small boot thankfully!

However, my car does seem to buck and jerk violently sometimes. I'm not sure if possibly the AFM was stuck closed or something. It's very strange and happens at random, it was 2 years since it last happened and randomly kind of started again. Any Ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X