Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 325e NoStart

Hello,
    I am making this post because I have a 325 that has not wanted to start. I will be adding fresh gasoline, Sea foam to the tank, and installing a new battery to try and start it.

It has not driven in about one year, cranks over and over.

I will need to get this car running before I move forward with it to really get it back on the road - so I am just working to get it to idle for right now.

I will post with more info - any words of advice for me? I will be adding the fuel+additive to the 1/4 tank that is already in the car to try to get it started. The car did have no battery juice, so I had the jumper cables connected.. The car has idled for a few short seconds then died.

Thanks for reading - respond with tips!

So the car started with a new battery. Would not idle but kept running. And then the engine would not crank over after that. All of a sudden the engine would not crank over.

A flashing CHECK light is on with ignition turned on and when the engine was running it was still flashing.

Comment

The engine now runs!

But it still kinda runs rough. I will be replacing:

-- Spark plugs
      -- Spark plug wires
      -- Engine oil/filter
      -- Air filter

Should this smooth out how the engine is running? Engine does start every time now.

Comment

That stuff will help but I would have a smoke test run to identify vacuum leaks as that's most likely why it's idling poorly. Also look at the cap and rotor if the contacts are all corroded replace it or at least sand them down with some sand paper
        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Alright. I will do that.

And where is the coolant temperature sensor located? I search the Bentley manual, and I did not read it in "Cooling", or where it told me to look under "Electrical".
          So where is it located?

That is why the CHECK light is up - on the panel by the sunroof is displays the cooling illuminated.

Comment

The violent temp sensor I believe is on the side of the radiator.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
            sigpic
            Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Violent Temperature Sensor?

I am still not seeing it ^^^Where exactly is the piece located?

This little guy? :

Only the one I have is black....

EDIT:
              Is this the correct walkthrough? It says it is in the thermostat housing:

Last edited by DarkLordFreeman; 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

The check panel light is for coolant level (rather than temp). It's located on (inside) the expansion tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom. View Post
                  The check panel light is for coolant level (rather than temp). It's located on (inside) the expansion tank.
                  Alright. I will double check the coolant level. The coolant temp guage inside the car is not working at all. Would this be a bad temperature sensor that will need replacement?

EDIT:
                  It does need some coolant. There is already coolant in the reservoir, but it is below the "line".

Comment

Originally posted by DarkLordFreeman View Post
                    Alright. I will double check the coolant level. The coolant temp guage inside the car is not working at all. Would this be a bad temperature sensor that will need replacement?

EDIT:
                    It does need some coolant. There is already coolant in the reservoir, but it is below the "line".
                    oftentimes, the ground nuts on the back of the cluster may be loose. this would be the first (easiest?) thing to check.

I am of the opinion that it is a good idea to pull the level sensor/floater and wipe away any grime or build-up. In my case, this was significant.

Comment

Working...
                    X