Alternator Belt Falling Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Belt Falling Off

Howdy folks. I have a problem. I just got my fan clutch, alternator belt, water pump, and radiator replaced. Now my alternator belt falls off after a day of driving. The other day I was driving. My car starts to over heats so I pull over. See that the belt is off. So I get it towed to the shop. My mechanic puts the belt back on and checks everything out and runs the car for a while everything is fine. I was driving home from the movies and my belt falls off again. Searched couldn't find anything. What do you guys think it is? Any help is appreciated.

Tighten the belt and then find a new mechanic...

Comment

Probably wrong length belt.

Comment

Alternator has replaceable bushings, in the mounting holes. Yours may be worn out, letting the alternator move around and dumping the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by 2l2ltq View Post
          Tighten the belt and then find a new mechanic...
          Excellent!
          But yeahhh he probably needs to not work on your car anymore.

Comment

This is why we work on our own cars. Honest BMW mechanics are expensive and all the rest treat them like beaters.

I'll concur with the above posts. Cross check the belt part no. and see if you can rock the alternator around in place to check the bushings and make sure the mounting bolts are tight.

The rule of thumb i learned for tightening v-belts is to tighten so that you can move it one or two belt widths (by squeezing the top and bottom half together between the pulleys). It needs to be firm but not pulling really hard against the accessory in question.
            --Will

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
              Alternator has replaceable bushings, in the mounting holes. Yours may be worn out, letting the alternator move around and dumping the belt.
              +1 ^^ What he said, and make sure the belt is the proper 10 x 965

Comment

I check it out. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X