Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was wondering if my idle issue was unique.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was wondering if my idle issue was unique.

For a few weeks I've lurked around and have tried everything (I literally have 28 bookmarks from searches)

I have an '85 325e with an issue with Temp sensor (not the thermo time switch, and not the 2 or 1 prong switch)

With the sensor unplugged the engine starts fine, when I plug it in the engine starts chugging and tries to idle but dies in about ~5 seconds.

- The sensor is brand new. (I have a crappy one to try out, somewhere)
    - The 1 prong switch is new.
    - Brand new coolant, hoses, thermostat.

If anyone has some ideas please let me know. I have a spare ECU but haven't tried it yet because it's chipped and I still have 87 AKI in it.

Thanks
    1985 BMW 325e 'Warmachine.'

Check the resistance of the sensor. It's not common, but new sensors can also be bad.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I had a bad idle one time chased it for a while ended up being my dme was bad ... Just something else you could try
      -His-
      87 e30 325i
      87 e24 m6
      05 e83 x3
      94 e32 740i 5spd
      -Hers-
      89 e30 325i
      18 f48 x1

Comment

I checked both, got nothing. I'm replacing spark plugs and wires since the wires themselves are mismatched colors for whatever reason.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Comment

clean idle control valve for good measure, also have you tried replacing the green idle control box its located behind the dme in glove box area
          -His-
          87 e30 325i
          87 e24 m6
          05 e83 x3
          94 e32 740i 5spd
          -Hers-
          89 e30 325i
          18 f48 x1

Comment

I have a "refurb" idle control valve, but I guess it won't hurt to give it a clean.

I also have 2 of those idle control boxes and have the newest one put in. I haven't switched between the two in a few weeks but I kinda counted that out towards the beginning of my woes.

I also checked my TPS and it was reading a good amount according to the Bentley. Any random or estranged issues people have had relative to this?

Comment

I've been working on it some more, and I keep hearing two things from people

- Stuck injectors
              - Bad Fuel pressure regulator.

I ordered some parts to work on both, but the problem is still consistent with plugging in this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/...e8bca66e_o.jpg sensor. The motor runs in open loop until I plug that in.

Then it dies.

Comment

I just replaced the spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires and fuel pressure regulator.

No change.

Still struggling and bucking and not idling. acts as if it has no power.

Comment

Maybe ground wires to engine?

Comment

I just swapped the oil pan to near-alternator one recently when I did my oil pan. it did it before I had to replace my oil pan too.

I have two running from two holes on the 318 battery tray area to the valve cover for safe keeping. the one I had originally there was off of my Vanagon that I had laying around brand new. came with some camper kit I had laying around that I never used.

Is there another crucial one around?

Thank you for the tip though.

Comment

With the ECT sensor unplugged the DME thinks that the engine is really cold and needs a rich mixture, which can compensate for unmetered air entering the engine. Have a shop run a smoke test to look for intake leaks.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

is that the two prong sensor? That is the only one that hasn't arrived yet.

Also, I'm putting in an in-line fuel pressure gauge today.

Comment

The sensor with the two prongs, normally in the lower position on the thermostat housing, is the ECT sensor.
                          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

replaced the ECT. you said its in the lower position? Do you have a picture of another eta setup? the wiring in this has been "Tampered with" but still draws power to the books. Seriously. I tested it all.

Heres a video by the way http://youtu.be/YE-fWVBw4kY

If anyone...anyone anyone can give me a few words that would be great.

Comment

Solution: My AFM was working, but upon further inspection it was heavily corroded inside and had been "messed with." Pulled a super eta AFM from the junk yard and it runs perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X