Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-M-G I want a blue timing belt pronto!
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
      O-M-G I want a blue timing belt pronto!

Comment

"Made to order" my ass.

RockAuto has them for ~$30. In stock according to their website

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post
          "Made to order" my ass.

RockAuto has them for ~$30. In stock according to their website
          Yeah Now they are... (They werent last week as I was periodically checking) you must have not read this entire thread but at first companies were not aware of the availability of the belt. Well that and probably the fact that some of the companies weren't setup to as a Gates Distributor

Oh well its about time cant beat that low price at 5% discount code lol

Jared

Comment

Has anyone installed and or ran it yet? I have had on 2 occasions, newly fabbed up parts from reputable companies not fit due to an oversight in bore, asymmetrical stud locations etc. Just want to make sure these things fit, and dont have an issue post production before I try one on the new beater.
            sigpic

Comment

I know someone who got an A4 for dirty cheap because one of these "racing" belts failed. He has personally fixed 2 TDi's with gates belts that the teeth have all been eaten off of.

I know it is anecdotal, but even just hearing one failure when I have never heard of a stock belt failing is enough to make me not want.
              1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
              2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
              2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Stock belts fail all the time. It's the number 1 cause of death for an m20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ravenlord89 View Post
                  I know someone who got an A4 for dirty cheap because one of these "racing" belts failed. He has personally fixed 2 TDi's with gates belts that the teeth have all been eaten off of.

I know it is anecdotal, but even just hearing one failure when I have never heard of a stock belt failing is enough to make me not want.
                  You say the A4 Gates racing belt failed well according to your friend... but what failed? You or well your friend blamed the belt however was it the belt? Or was it the hydraulic tensioner? or tensioner roller? or tensioner pulley? that the A4 uses. The hydraulic tensioners fail all the time especially the cheaper aftermarket ones on those cars especially considering alot of time people opt to replace them and just recompress them (Usually improperly) and reuse because of how much generally they cost for a good one.

On the TDI's were they racing belts? As you just stated "Gates Belts"

Also I had to laugh at this... "I have never heard of a stock belt failing is enough to make me not want."

Stock belts do fail due to a variety of factors as well.

Comment

Naysayers gonna say nay...
                    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Stock belts do fail, when you don't replace them or maintain the vehicle properly. How often do you hear, my belt broke at 30,000kms because of wear. Most, if not all of the threads I have read with timing belt failures are a result of the belt being too old, or being worn. Never because it wasn't blue and full of kevlar.

The A4 he got had a OE replacement tensioner on it. Maybe it was the tensioner that failed. He didn't elaborate on the TDi's, just that they were Gates "racing" belt. Considering that on all 3 vehicles it was the teeth being eaten off of the belt and not it snapping or being worn I would be hesitent to trust the belt.

Yes I am a naysayer. I rarely see failures of OEM products if they are installed and maintained properly. Yet aftermarket stuff I hear of failures. Even if it is just a friend of a friend, it still wasn't the same quality as an OEM equilivent.
                      1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
                      2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
                      2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

The problem here is that when tbelts break, people blame the belt. Not the fact that the tensioner seized, or a washer got dropped inside the cover etc. The stories don't necessarily include all of the facts. They just include the ones that make the teller/wrencher seem completely innocent.

If you trust Gates, get one. If you don't, don't.

/Thread
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                          A lack of proper maintenance on an old car is the number 1 cause of death for a m20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          fixed
                          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

ECS Tuning already has a "Super Kit"

About $30 over priced, but hey...
                            Last edited by Overlord475; 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM.

--->>>1988 SETA 2.7i Build Thread (Turbo Prep)<<<---

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                              It says "will be available on Jan 20th"
                              They're out of stock again with no ETA of when they'll have more, just called....

--->>>1988 SETA 2.7i Build Thread (Turbo Prep)<<<---

Comment

I have 2 belts left for sale. Just belts tho

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X