Cooling System issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling System issues

Hello r3v, just got a e30 325is. Im pretty sure this question has been asked but i like to think every case is different and it shouldnt be hard to answer.

So the car is getting hot, not overheating, its creeping to the 3/4 mark before the red.

Waterpump was replaced already and a professional coolant drain/fill has been done.

Edit: Fan clutch and shroud also replaced.

What do you guys think i need to replace? I was thinking thermo or radiator.

Any response will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Follow me on instagram @arda.e30

What does professional coolant drain/fill mean? Someone at a shop just drains and fills for you? It sounds like your radiator is on its way out. Make sure that there is sufficient ventilation for your radiator. There are many cases where the entire front radiator is filled with leaves and crap. remove the radiator and back flush it to see if it is clogged. Check the fins for goodness. If this is the original radiator then it might be a good idea to replace it.

Comment

^^^ What he said, Plus CK the AC condensor, Pull the E fan and clean out the birdsnest that will be behind it.

After doing ALL that CK coolant temp. with a thermometer. Thermostat may not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        What does professional coolant drain/fill mean? Someone at a shop just drains and fills for you? It sounds like your radiator is on its way out. Make sure that there is sufficient ventilation for your radiator. There are many cases where the entire front radiator is filled with leaves and crap. remove the radiator and back flush it to see if it is clogged. Check the fins for goodness. If this is the original radiator then it might be a good idea to replace it.
        They vacuumed all the coolant with a pump. I dont know what the method is called.

Comment

Just based on probable age, I'd replace the radiator, expansion tank, cap, all hoses, and the thermostat as you have already replaced the pump and fan clutch.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The guy i bought it from included a thermo with the sale. Behr 80° C. Im going to try to replace that today

Comment

So I got under the car and their is water leaking from the waterpump
              and a crusty mold has formed next to it. I suspect the water pump is faulty. I just ordered a Bosch new unit. Should install tomorrow.

Comment

It's possible the water pump wasn't actually replaced. If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the timing belt at the same time. Better to be safe that rebuilding/swapping a motor.
                90 325i DD/Track
                03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

It could be that maybe it was changed along time ago. I have receipts from 2012 stating that the waterpump and timing belt was changed. I hope it's the water pump that is causing this and nothing else

Comment

If you take tension off of the timing belt you are supposed to replace it.

Comment

So does the timing belt have to be changed when doing the water pump?

Comment

Originally posted by ArdaMK2 View Post
                        So does the timing belt have to be changed when doing the water pump?
                        Not mandatory just sensible/efficient
                        ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

OK just took it to a shop to get waterpump/timingbelt/thermo replaced. Hope this fixes everything!

Comment

Hello guys. Im going to bump it up because i replaced the thermo,waterpump,and timing belt and still having the same issues. Can someone tell me how to figure out what to replace. Whether its the radiator or headgasket. Im not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ArdaMK2 View Post
                              Hello guys. Im going to bump it up because i replaced the thermo,waterpump,and timing belt and still having the same issues. Can someone tell me how to figure out what to replace. Whether its the radiator or headgasket. Im not sure.
                              you can flush the radiator very easily. i just washed 2" of mud out of one for a local guy. also did you follow the correct bleeding procedure? it can be tricky to get all the air out.

if you are in the SJ area i can also help you.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                              X