picking up a motor tonight!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picking up a motor tonight!!

Hey guys as the title says, Im picking up a M20 tonight but I have no idea what size bolt I need to put it on my engine stand. I know grade 8 and probably 4 inches or so but I have no idea what thread pitch or diameter. Please help!!
    sigpic
    Justin Angelli
    1985 325e Gazellenbiege

If you have spare head gasket bolts, and alot of washers, or nuts that are bigger than the bolts to act like washers will work. Thats how I've always done it from what I remember.

Comment

I can check in about an hour or so if you want. I have one up on a stand now.
      sigpic

Comment

BMW uses 4 of the same kinda of threads for everything.
        If you can take it off with a 10mm wrench its prob M6-1.0, 13mm wrench its M8-1.25, 17mm wrench its M10-1,5, 19mm Wrench not sure but prob M12-1.75

The tranny is connected to the block by M8-1.25 and the larger M10-1.5. Use the transmission bolts to bolt the block to the stand. Torx sockets E10 and E12 for the tranny bolts

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I just went and checked my m20 it has four m12x1.75 bolt holes. Those are the bolt holes you want to use to mount it to the motor stand. It will depend on the length of the bolt stands your motor mount head uses. I have several stands and the one with the m20 has really long tubes. It has m12x 1.75x 105mm bolts, you may need something shorter, but definitely M12x1.75
          sigpic

Comment

Been out of the M20 game too long. Assumed they used the same size bolts as the 260-6. I stand corrected.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it figured out
              sigpic
              Justin Angelli
              1985 325e Gazellenbiege

Comment

Working...
              X