Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Belt Snapped, This is the damage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Snapped, This is the damage.

Hey everyone, Im new to the forum and just looking to get some guidance.
    So recently I bought a 325e from one of the local "Mechanics". Turns out he didnt care much for the car as on the first day of driving it the timing belt went. The valves are bent and the pistons have indents from the impact. I need some opinions on how to go about fixing this. A head from the junk yard is 60$ should i just swap it then change the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump? My main concern is that i wont have the proper compression.
    This is what condition the pistons are in. Can i still use this bottom?
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is the head

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for reading!

The bottom end is likely fine. Quite a few people snap the belt and replace the head with no further problems.

If you get a junkyard head, make sure to get the head checked and resurfaced by a machine shop. No point in putting a cracked head back on and if you don't resurface it, there is a good chance the head gasket will leak.

Be sure to clean the block really good as well. If any of the dents from the valves have any sharp edges, you might want to file them down. Sharp edges create hot spots and can cause detonation.

Comment

My Second E30 had a bad timing belt when I bought it. Get a new head, get a gasket set and slap it on. It runs fine. Clean up some of the rough edges with some sandpaper and clean up the pistons while you're in there.

#AZE30
      1991 318i
      1989 325i
      1989 335i

Comment

I have yet to see a used head that didn't have enough warp to justify surfacing. So plan on that. And at the least have the valve seals replaced.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Perfect, exactly what I needed thank you guys. Picking up a head this week!

Comment

Working...
          X