Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirring Noise After New Water Pump, Timing Belt/Tensioner, Accessory Belts Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whirring Noise After New Water Pump, Timing Belt/Tensioner, Accessory Belts Removed

The title says it all. Could the crank have moved forward? This was after a front end collision. and sorry for making a second thread, I forgot when I posted just now :(

After watching videos and reading more, could be an overtightened tensioner, and could be rubbing.
    Last edited by 4x4_e30; 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM.

If the noise is present with the belts off, it would have to be the timing belt or tensioner. I can't think of a way for the harmonic balancer to rub, nor dies it seem likely that the noise could be from the intermediate shaft. An automotive stethoscope should help in finding the source of the noise.

There is no way for the crank to move without the main bearing cap for thrust bearing breaking. In which case there be other, louder, noises.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Tensioner was tensioned properly. Is it normal for them to lay a little rubber on the tensioner roller?

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
        Tensioner was tensioned properly. Is it normal for them to lay a little rubber on the tensioner roller?
        Like, flakes of rubber or melted rubber? In either case in all the good belts (6 or so) that I've done, I've never seen any rubber on the tensioner. Once there were flakes of belt all over because the tensioner bolt came loose and the belt was getting cut down by the T-Belt cover.
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

The timing belt could be a bit tight but should settle.

329i

Comment

Working...
          X