325is starting woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325is starting woes

So i'm working on my friends 87 325is and the previous owner had installed a push button on the starter. To start the car you turn the ignition to the on part, and then press the button, if you tried to do the ignition switch start the starter will not engage.

However now the car will not start, for some reason the button no longer works, and the ignition turns on the starter, however when the ignition switch turns on the starter there is no spark or fuel just the engine turning over.

I looked at the starter wiring and noticed that the way the switch was installed is that the previous owner installed the switch line on the post along with the black and yellow line. Then there is the large post which has the red and big power wire. The third post which would normally have a black and green wire going to it has nothing going to it at all and the black and green wire is nowhere to be seen. As I understand that wire is supposed to tell the ECU you are trying to start the car.

Where I'm at now is the car will only start while turning over if I press the switch, and then as soon as I put the car off of the start position on the ignition switch it dies. If i hold the button and the ignition switch in start the car stays running but of course drags the starter.

Me and him are pulling our hair out trying to figure out why it would start just fine before using the button and now everything is reversed without any other changes. We want to try and reinstall a wire where the black and green wire go however we are not sure where that wire ends up and what to connect it to.

Any help would be appreciated, if we could get it back to stock that would be best but at the very least if we could get the push button to work we would be happy to have a running car again.
Working...
X