Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 head alignment

I had no idea how to properly word the title but I will explain:

I swapped the head last summer on my m20b25 and I didn't have a shop crane when I did it and also did it by myself. I have no problem picking up the had, but I did have a problem putting the head on the block gently due to the weight and bad angle for holding it.

I kinda dropped the head on the block and when I did that, I smashed the little cylinder that sticks up around the bolt hole near cylinder five that I assume is to line the head up with.

I tried straightening it but wasn't very successful and not only did it cut into the gasket, it also made it impossible to properly torque the head bolt...

The head gasket just blew, I assume because of that and I was wondering if there was a way to remove the smashed cylinder thing?

Cliffs:
    I'm weak
    Dropped head on block
    Smashed alignment cylinder thingy
    Blew gasket a year later
    Want to remove cylinder thingy

Peter

Yes, those little dowels will pull out. Just grab them with some pliers and yank. If that doesn't work, You could *carefully* use a drill bit to drill it out. Most likely, a drill bit will simply cut into it enough to grab it and spin it out before you actually 'drill' it out.

#6 in diagram:

Part Number: 11121726241

It is quite awkward to try and drop a head in place gently. I would definitely get a helper next time.

Comment

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. This tube I'm getting a shop crane... And a helper. since I'm not swapping the head this time, I'm leaving on as much as possible, so all the manifolds and stuff.

Comment

Here's my helper.

Comment

Nice, good luck this time!

Comment

Working...
          X