Weird vibration under throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a weird vibration under 1/2 throttle or more. Mostly noticeable in 3rd 4th and 5th between 2000-3000rpm.

i was thinking maybe it is an exhaust leak, because its a horrendous drone/vibration. But i thought id post it in here because its more encompassing.

Any ideas on what it might be?

84 325e btw

edit: it also just had motor tranny mounts done in December if that helps at all.
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
    Originally posted by Northern
    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Make sure all of your drive shaft bolts are still there. Ever looked at the guibo to make sure its not worn?
    1990 325i 5spd
    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

Originally posted by Helltime View Post
      Make sure all of your drive shaft bolts are still there. Ever looked at the guibo to make sure its not worn?

Guibo was changed in May, less than 3k on it but wouldn't that be speed related? Not load/rpm related? That is why I think it is engine related... It runs great and all, just the vibration under load
      Last edited by HennaE30; 02-15-2015, 01:50 PM.
      how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
        Guibo was changed in May, less than 3k on it but wouldn't that be speed related? Not load/rpm related? That is why I think it is engine related... It runs great and all, just the vibration under load
        If the bolts were reused you could be missing one. I have been told they should be considered 1 time use.
        It is something you would notice under acceleration, as that would be when it is most likely to flex. I have had 2 different e30s now that have either lost or broken a drive shaft bolt on the transmission side and under acceleration there is noticeable vibration, but at cruising speed there is nothing. First time it happened to me It was after a hard 1-2 shift going onto a county highway and I didn't know anything was wrong until I came to a stop light and went to accelerate. 2nd car was pretty much same situation, drove it a little hard, get off the highway and to the stop light, go to take off and noticed a little vibration, the harder I got on it the more vibration there was, but once at speed nothing (pulled it in the garage, immediately jacked it up, and sure enough lost a drive shaft bolt transmission side).
        1990 325i 5spd
        09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

Originally posted by Helltime View Post
          If the bolts were reused you could be missing one. I have been told they should be considered 1 time use.
          It is something you would notice under acceleration, as that would be when it is most likely to flex. I have had 2 different e30s now that have either lost or broken a drive shaft bolt on the transmission side and under acceleration there is noticeable vibration, but at cruising speed there is nothing. First time it happened to me It was after a hard 1-2 shift going onto a county highway and I didn't know anything was wrong until I came to a stop light and went to accelerate. 2nd car was pretty much same situation, drove it a little hard, get off the highway and to the stop light, go to take off and noticed a little vibration, the harder I got on it the more vibration there was, but once at speed nothing (pulled it in the garage, immediately jacked it up, and sure enough lost a drive shaft bolt transmission side).

New hardware used on guibo, managed to get the car on jackstands in an attempt to diagnose a transmission leak that I'm having and all the guibo/driveshaft bolts (both tranny and diff sides) are still there and intact.

Comment

Working...
          X