Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Running A 284/272 or Similar Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Running A 284/272 or Similar Cam?

As mentioned in the title - anyone out there running a 284/272 asymmetrical cam, or similar?

How do you like it? What is the power delivery like?

Did you upgrade your valve springs?

Does it have a lumpy idle (or not idle at all...) ?

Any further input?

Thanks!!

-Bump-

Comment

I wouldn't worry about idle. I idle fine (if a little lumpy) at exactly 800rpm.. and I have a 304/304 :D
      This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
        I wouldn't worry about idle. I idle fine (if a little lumpy) at exactly 800rpm.. and I have a 304/304 :D
        Oh, I'm not afraid of a lumpy idle :D --- I like that!

I am really more interested in what I need to run the cam --- adjustable cam gear? New or upgraded valve springs? Etc.

And how does it perform? Where does the power come in? Does it have an on / off switch at a certain RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level E30

I am really more interested in what I need to run the cam --- adjustable cam gear? New or upgraded valve springs? Etc.

And how does it perform? Where does the power come in? Does it have an on / off switch at a certain RPM?
          if your talking about the m20 engine, it does not have variable cam timing. the adjustable cam gear can only be set when the motor is off.

Unlimited Slip Diff's FTW!
          1972 240z Drift,Scca BSP, Scca ITS Car.

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            shrick or catcam. stay away from regrinds (ie racetep). also, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 284, it will idle just fine and make a bigger difference than a 274. a dual pattern is even better, my idle is pretty smooth with the 284/272, and I love the way it lopes. I kinda wish I'd have gone with a 288 or more, but I know I would have regretted a 274.
            if i were going for a cam ever, as a fun car, it'd be a dual pattern one.

for KP, i might go 288, or may still go for a 284/274

Ted ran one too
            Originally posted by SlammedE30
            Correct, thanks Chris. It's got an Ireland 3.0L stroker kit, Pauter rods, a Schrick 284/272 cam, mild headwork, 9.8:1 pistons, custom Borla exhaust, 21.5# injectors. That's the major stuff, and I have a Stahl header on the way. Hope that answered your question.
            -Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Mc
              Why install such a mild cam? A 272 or 274 is only a little hotter than the stock cam. Go for a 284/272 or something similar, the dual-pattern should work well with a low-torque load engine.

For a stroker, especially a 3.0L, look into something like a 288 or 292.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                if i were going for a cam ever, as a fun car, it'd be a dual pattern one.

for KP, i might go 288, or may still go for a 284/274

Ted ran one too
                How 'bout a DBilas 282/272? Very cheap over here...

Do I need new valve springs? OE or upgraded?

Comment

PM nando

Comment

I have an adjustable cam gear, but it's only because I decked my block and used the cam gear to get the timing aligned again, not for the cam itself. I did put stiffer valvesprings as insurance, and I recommend that you do too. Of course the tamer the cam, the less likely you'll need stiffer springs.

Performance of the car changes totally with a 304/304 cam... you lose major low-end torque, but high-rpm power jumps significantly. You'll end up with a peakier (but IMO more fun) engine.

No, there's no 'on-off' switch per se, but you'll be able to feel a cam start breathing around 4 to 5k rpm, depending on what cam you choose. Mine comes alive at 5k.

Comment

Probably no need for the cam gear on a stock motor w/ a 282/272, huh?

I will probably just use new OE springs --- I've heard that stiffer springs can cause cracking in these heads.

This will be for a track car anyway, so I ain't skeered of the low-end Tq loss :D

Comment

With a 282/272 you'll be fine with new OE springs. Enjoy :)

Comment

In that case... anybody wanna buy an adjustable cam gear :D ?

Comment

In that case... anybody wanna buy an adjustable cam gear :D ?
                            If I'm not mistaken, both diegom6 and digger are in the market for an adjustable cam gear.

Comment

On one of my cars Ive got a BMP 282/272 cam with their HD valvesprings for insurance because that cam is high lift 11.5/11.0 ......so check your spec as well. I wouldnt trust oem springs with that.
                              You can feel it come on at 4000 rpm feels great especially on a highly modded engine like mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X