Help me identify this oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me identify this oil leak

Any idea of what this leak could be? Clear evidence of leak from dip stick. Engine was recently rebuilt.

#5 & #8 could be your culprits.

Comment

^that, also could be rocker shaft plugs

Comment

That much oil is either the oil pressure sender or the Viton seal behind the plug and snap ring on the oil filter housing, or both.

Comment

I vote cam seal and or rocker plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Oh boy. Is it serious? How hard would it be to replace the seals and plug?

Comment

Rocker plugs are done when doing a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket. Pretty easy. Cam shaft plug is also easy, typically done along with timing belt and water pump.

I'm doing the tbelt/water pump this week and the cam shaft seal as well.

sigpic
              1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
              I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
                Rocker plugs are done when doing a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket. Pretty easy. Cam shaft plug is also easy, typically done along with timing belt and water pump.

I'm doing the tbelt/water pump this week and the cam shaft seal as well.

Sounds good to me. Thank you!

Comment

Plugs are super easy. Take the valve cover off, pull the old plugs out (4 total, one on each side of the rocker shafts)' put the new plugs in, and put a new valve cover gasket on as well. If the old plugs aren't coming out, screw a screw into them and pull.

Camshaft seal (and oring that's right next to it) is a lot more work than the plugs. Basically a timing belt job since you need to take the timing belt off since you need to take the camshaft sprocket off. Which is not particularly hard, just a lot of steps and involves taking the radiator out.

I'd say do the plugs cuz they're easy, then try to clean the oil up and wait a while, if the leak is still there and is bad enough then do the camshaft seal&oring.

Comment

I drove 84 miles and did four runs at AutoX and burnt half a quart of oil from that leak.

Comment

Working...
                    X