M20 valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 valve cover gasket

Hey guys so I'm doing a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket replacement. I was wondering what material head gasket would work better? Should I go with a molded rubber? Or a composite?

Originally posted by Marqueln23 View Post
    Hey guys so I'm doing a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket replacement. I was wondering what material head gasket would work better? Should I go with a molded rubber? Or a composite?
    I was getting the VR gaskets which are composite with a bead of rubbery stuff in the middle, but they were so stiff they wouldn't seal. I ended up using RTV on it and that solved it. As such, I'd say try the softer rubber gasket.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Ok thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Goetze makes the best valve cover gasket imo. I've had Elring and VR leak, but after installing a Goetze gasket things have been bone dry.

1986 327i
        transaction feedback
        DIY thing
        meh

Comment

Many leak after replacement because people don't replace the rubber rocker end plugs, be sure to replace them.
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

the felpro gaskets are actually pretty nice, silicone beads on a fiber material over a steel core. also $20 and in stock at my local advance auto parts

Comment

I use the VR ones and replace them every 1-2 years. Every brand leaks after a few years. I use rtv all around the plugs and over the top of the front and back of the head. it's only way to seal it up.
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
              X